Getting Local Stations Without Cable

We rebelled against high costs and canceled cable, however I thought we could at least tune in the local stations. Our TV is digitally "correct" (less than 2 years old), so what do I need to buy or do to get local news? Thanks.

By Pmusicmom from Lafayette, IN

I think you will need an atennae. I would got to Radio Shack and see what they suggest. I'm thinking of doing the same thing, the cost of cable is ridiculous.

I just used rabbit ears with my new TV. It worked perfectly. I believe there is a flat antenna that you can put on the wall behind your TV that wouldn't be so ugly.

We tried rabbit ears from Radio Shack first and were impressed by the quality and additional programming we received. That might well be enough for you. We decided to take the next step, though, and bought a DB4 roof/attic antenna. (We ordered it from I'd also like to recommend the website, which gives lots of antenna and station information. We live right between Baltimore and Washington, DC and are able to get many stations. We especially enjoy the auxiliary stations with old movies and retro TV shows.

You will probably need a digital converter box, but the government is giving away coupons for $40 off for the purchase of one.

I haven't had cable in over 10 years, I use a regular antenna and I don't feel like I'm missing much. If I can't find something to watch on broadcast tv, then I visit, YouTube or Joost. Even has complete episodes of some great classic shows that you can watch for free.

If you are not getting the local channels after having cable you might check to see if your T.V. is set to cable or local T.V. Don't know about the newer T.V. but the older ones have a switch in the back or with the control panel to switch from cable to local channels. As the others have said if you don't have an antenna you will need one.

Consumer Advice General AdviceApril 16, 2009
Coaxial Cable TV
Getting Rid of Cable TV
Photo of a TV remote control.
Saving Money on Your Cable Bill
Closeup of HDMI Cable
Saving Money on HDMI Cables
Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Advice on Canceling Cable and Phone Service