Getting Rid of Cable TV

Category Utilities
Fed up with the rising cost of cable, but reluctant to have no easy access to your shows can create a quandary. This is a guide about getting rid of cable TV.

A friend told me to go to Walmart and buy an RCA UHF/VHF/Digital Indoor Antenna antenna for about $10. Then run the program on your Digital TV to program channels. I get about 30 channels, very clearly except in bad weather, for free. You have to play around with antenna placement (like the old days), but it works!

We're all victims of the latest reality TV show. Un-numb yourself and eliminate the cable! Disconnecting cable television reconnects people to the actual world and refreshens avenues of intellect and communication. By reading books, walking the dog, gardening, or just being outside enjoying nature we reconnect with ourselves and the world around us improving our mental and physical health through our lifestyle.

By SJ Weiss

This is a guide about using video streaming services instead of cable tv. Cable is expensive, but there are some ways you can save money. One option is to switch to a streaming service to watch your favorite shows.

Netflix and Hulu are just some of the services out there. Here is some advice if you are thinking about cancelling cable.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I absolutely love Hulu Plus, it's well worth the $11.99 a month for no commercials. I'm able to watch many of my favorite shows that I loved growing up: My Favorite Martian, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, Flipper, Bonanza, I Love Lucy, Mr.Ed, Mork & Mindy, Dragnet, Nanny and the Professor, Lost in Space, Webster, Happy Days, Doogie Howser MD, and many more.

I spent a few hours looking over everything offered and have an amazing watch list. There is a extremely large selection of TV, movies, originals, Latino, anime, British, history and 382 video games. I also don't mind watching my favorite shows one day later without any commercials, when I want to watch them, not when the networks air them.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Seriously, take back all that time wasted on TV. Most reality TV can be summed up in fun and even more entertaining ways on webshows that show the choicest highlights.

I live in an apartment complex on the first floor and now pay for cable TV. I found several websites on ROKU. One was their channel lineup and another one was how to hook up a ROKU. I have two HDTVs in my apartment. One is in the living room and the other in the bedroom. I have an older computer that is wired into a Wi Fi modem and my laptop is wireless running off the same modem.

I would like to know if I were to buy two ROKU boxes, one for each TV with the option of returning them for a refund if they didn't work out could I run both ROKUs using the wireless Wi Fi in my apartment and be able to watch the programs?

I would greatly appreciate all feedback to my question.

Thank you!

Answers

You should be able to run two Rokus in one apartment with your wifi.

You can definitely run two Roku boxes off the same Wi-Fi. However, your bandwidth may become an issue if you try to watch two shows at the same time on both TVs.

Roku isn't a true replacement for either cable or OTA TV broadcasts, but it is a really good replacement for many people who are tired of the expense of cable TV. As long as you have a reasonable high speed service and moderate bandwidth you should be fine with the Rokus.

If you are nervous about the expense, then start with only one unit, say in your living room and get a feel for it.

I greatly appreciate your feedback to my question. I didn't realize there might be a problem if I tried using two Rokus at the same time on both TVs.
My husband and I came to a logical solution of retaining our cable service but will downgrade to a basic cable subscription which will cost us less than $20. At the present time we are paying about $90 for cable TV (including the cost of leasing the equipment). So now we will be saving about $70 per month.

And we will only be buying one Roku instead of two.

We're glad you found an answer to your problem.

Here is a very good comparison chart you may want to check before buying a device:

http://www.koma  ng-video-gadgets