Getting Rid of Cable TV

Category Utilities
Fed up with the rising cost of cable, but reluctant to have no easy access to your shows can create a quandary. This is a guide about getting rid of cable TV.

A friend told me to go to Walmart and buy an RCA UHF/VHF/Digital Indoor Antenna antenna for about $10. Then run the program on your Digital TV to program channels. I get about 30 channels, very clearly except in bad weather, for free. You have to play around with antenna placement (like the old days), but it works!

We're all victims of the latest reality TV show. Un-numb yourself and eliminate the cable! Disconnecting cable television reconnects people to the actual world and refreshens avenues of intellect and communication. By reading books, walking the dog, gardening, or just being outside enjoying nature we reconnect with ourselves and the world around us improving our mental and physical health through our lifestyle.

By SJ Weiss

I absolutely love Hulu Plus, it's well worth the $11.99 a month for no commercials. I'm able to watch many of my favorite shows that I loved growing up: My Favorite Martian, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, Flipper, Bonanza, I Love Lucy, Mr.Ed, Mork & Mindy, Dragnet, Nanny and the Professor, Lost in Space, Webster, Happy Days, Doogie Howser MD, and many more.

I spent a few hours looking over everything offered and have an amazing watch list. There is a extremely large selection of TV, movies, originals, Latino, anime, British, history and 382 video games. I also don't mind watching my favorite shows one day later without any commercials, when I want to watch them, not when the networks air them.

Seriously, take back all that time wasted on TV. Most reality TV can be summed up in fun and even more entertaining ways on webshows that show the choicest highlights. I read HuffPost daily and their Front Page usually includes the latest cult hit with a link to videos that show you all the good stuff. I have really enjoyed Hulu and Netflix services at different times, for catching up on TV series at my own pace at fractions of the cost of cable. I did miss the History, Science and Learning programs for awhile, but I found excellent substitutes by following these subjects in news media.

Every other month I call my cable company because the bill goes up. They will give me a break for a month or so then slowly creep in other charges. I'm not tech savy and am reading about Hulu. I watch CNN, MSNBC, some of the old movies, the sports channels, cooking, and sometimes the history channel. These are a few of what I watch. Is cable a must for me to continue watching these networks? I'm not wanting to watch TV on my computer. What equipment do I need in order to watch the networks on my Sonny HD TV. Hopefully I'm making sense; as I said not "tech savy", but would like to cut the cord with cable. I have my phone line and internet connection with cable company also, if that makes a difference. Thanks.

By grossb954 from Lubbock, TX

Answers

First about watching pc on tv. I am not so tech savvy myself, so I go to Youtube. There you will find 8 million videos showing you exactly what to buy and how to do it. Just search for "watching pc on tv".

As for the Hulu dilemma, it can be good and bad. A lot of the tv shows are available free for limited periods (A certain number days after air for a certain number days). I'm not sure how news shows would work. News 5 days late is not really news any more. Go plunder around and see. You don't have to register, and if availability is different with paid service they will tell you.

Another option is to go to the individual network website. That is sometimes the faster option for shows.

I say all this as I watch my cable tv. I am too stuck in my ways to make the change. I do, however, plan to change to basic cable and watch as many shows as possible through pc.

I am just in the process of doing this myself. I am SO not tech-savvy. If it weren't for my computer geek brother, I'd still be using my VCR (which he bought me in the 80's)!

We downgraded to just basic cable before our wedding 2 years ago, and it's been a great disappointment for $47 a month.
We were able to only get Netflix and Pandora through our Blue-ray player (gift from my brother, LOL), so we JUST bought a Roku box (a box that streams internet tv) and installed it two days ago - it was only $50. We now pay for Netflix and Hulu Plus at $16 a month total and get other stations free through the Roku.

So far, I'm really happy. I am able to get shows on Hulu Plus that I could no longer get on cable and that Netflix didn't have. There are a couple of shows that Hulu Plus doesn't have, but I can watch them online if I'm really desperate.
I've just been playing around with the Roku, but it has so many other channels.

I have found news channels that are free. NBC seems to post the nightly news and meet the press immediately, and there are several other news channels that I haven't even tried yet - a lot of them free.
So anyway, it's worth it to me. I would try it out while you still have cable for a few days before deciding, but I am excited about saving money and having more watching options.

Ooh, I just looked at your post again. I have heard that if you have internet and phone through your cable company, that if you cancel your cable, they will not actually stop your cable service. In other words, they automatically do internet and cable together, even if you cancel the cable. It would be up to you to decide if you would feel too guilty to use the cable! In my opinion, if they're sending it to your house even if you've canceled it, you should have the right to use it. Others might disagree.

Also, all you need for internet TV streaming services is wifi and a streaming device, like a Roku, Apple tv box, WII, or other internet-enabled device. I am liking the Roku so far.
Good luck!

Hulu is awesome. We have been using the ROKU for about a year and a Half now...at the time it cost about $65.00. there are so many great channel options with the Roku. Hulu Plus is what you Pay for to stream to your TV. It is $8 a month. Worth it. Additionally with the Roku you get channels such as Amazon movies. You can rent a movie on Amazon.com. So that is like pay per view. Hulu not only gives you access to common TV stations but there is a collection of HULU Exclusive programs, usually British productions that are very entertaining. I have loved not paying for cable.

I live in an apartment complex on the first floor and now pay for cable TV. I found several websites on ROKU. One was their channel lineup and another one was how to hook up a ROKU. I have two HDTVs in my apartment. One is in the living room and the other in the bedroom. I have an older computer that is wired into a Wi Fi modem and my laptop is wireless running off the same modem.

I would like to know if I were to buy two ROKU boxes, one for each TV with the option of returning them for a refund if they didn't work out could I run both ROKUs using the wireless Wi Fi in my apartment and be able to watch the programs?

I would greatly appreciate all feedback to my question.

Thank you!

Answers

You should be able to run two Rokus in one apartment with your wifi.

You can definitely run two Roku boxes off the same Wi-Fi. However, your bandwidth may become an issue if you try to watch two shows at the same time on both TVs.

Roku isn't a true replacement for either cable or OTA TV broadcasts, but it is a really good replacement for many people who are tired of the expense of cable TV. As long as you have a reasonable high speed service and moderate bandwidth you should be fine with the Rokus. If you are nervous about the expense, then start with only one unit, say in your living room and get a feel for it.

I greatly appreciate your feedback to my question. I didn't realize there might be a problem if I tried using two Rokus at the same time on both TVs.
My husband and I came to a logical solution of retaining our cable service but will downgrade to a basic cable subscription which will cost us less than $20. At the present time we are paying about $90 for cable TV (including the cost of leasing the equipment). So now we will be saving about $70 per month.

And we will only be buying one Roku instead of two.

We're glad you found an answer to your problem.

Here is a very good comparison chart you may want to check before buying a device:
http://www.koma  ng-video-gadgets