Put Your Address on Your Cane

I misplaced a cane somewhere if you can believe it. I must have left it in a shopping cart. So now I place an address sticker that you would put on an envelope on my cane. This way my address is on it so it can be returned.

By Mary C. from Newark, CA

My husband thinks I am nuts, but an old drama teacher told us always to mark our stuff/equipment with our names. And I always try to mark things with address labels! Even our cell phones have address labels on them. And all of our tote bags are also marked.

Hi Mary,

Though I think your idea is a good one it may not be a safe one. In a world that has crime rates skyrocket, I would advise you to put your phone number on items rather than an address. This way you will be contacted and can make arrangements to meet this person in a public place or have a family member with you when it's dropped off. I instruct people on how NOT be a victim, so please give this some thought. Take care.....

Please don't put your address on your cane. You don't want your address to fall into the hands of someone who would take advantage of you. A cane might indicate vulnerability to the wrong person.

There are a lot of bad people out there; awareness and prevention pays off.

I work at a major retail store, and you would be surprised at how many canes end up in our lost and found, some of them quite expensive.

If you think that you left it at the store, please call and see if it is there. I'm always reluctent to get rid of a cane, knowing that someone needs it, and that more than likely, they are elderly. I agree that leaving your information on it might be dangerous in the long run, but it sure would be convenient on my end *grin*.

I just left my cane in the parking lot of a store, hooked to the carriage. I have my name on it, so I was able to call & ask if they had found a cane with my name on it. We do have to be careful of leaving our #'s and addresses. Most people are good, but there are some bad apples out there.

I put address labels on our umbrellas. I hadn't thought about it being potentially dangerous. Should I just have put my phone number? Just my name? I'm always leaving them behind and it helps them get back to me. I've never left it somewhere public, but at family functions and at work.

I would put just my first name and phone number or email address.

Thank you. Great idea! I need to do this with my mother's canes.

http://www.savingspotpourri.blogspot.com/

It's a good idea in case you get lost too.

This is a good idea. My husband makes his own custom canes and has left two in grocery carts over the past year never to be seen again. But...who ever found it could have turned it into the store but didn't so it's not a "for sure you'll get your cane back" if you do put an address sticker on it. Not everyone is aboveboard and honest, unfortunately. :-(

Maybe it would be better to just put your phone number on it. anne in NC

I do this all the time! (Leaving canes in shopping carts.) It's getting rather expensive to keep replacing them. I'll put my phone number on the cane. Great idea. Thanks for the tip!

I agree about not putting your address on it as it could tip off a criminal that there is a mobility challenged person living there, but when I bought a beautiful floral print cane for my mother I went to the pet store and had a heart shaped dog tag engraved with her name and phone number. Then hooked it on the handle strap with a key ring. Another tip from Mom - she uses her cane to help her make her bed. Wish I had one!

Great idea. My husband needed a walker and we purchased one from Goodwill that had an address label on it from the previous owner. Think I will do that now that he is in a nursing home and uses a walker there, that way it won't get mixed up with the roommate's walker.

Using a Cane
Using a Cane
Organizing MiscellaneousSeptember 26, 2008
A blank address book
Address Book Tips and Tricks
Finding Free Address Labels
Finding Free Address Labels
Address Book on White Background
Other Uses for Address Books
Broken Cane Chair
Repairing Cane Chairs
🎄