Organizing Canned Goods

Here is how I solved the endless "what can will I grab" from the food pantry. I cut strips of wood then placed in rows to hold my canned goods on the bottom shelf of my cabinet. I used a square of wood to hold them in place at the front of each row.This will work for any space I'm sure. I took this photo after Thanksgiving, obviously we'd hit the corn!

By Melanie from IL

I like your idea. I feel my cupboard is usless. The shelves are deep and it takes me forever to find something. I straighten them out and it does not last.Are your shelves deep. They look like it.

Ruth

Simple and effective. Thanks for sharing this great idea!

Great Idea Melanie. Thankfully, my husband can

do just about anything. He has so many projects

that his list will take him well into the next 100 years.

However, he's going to have to fit your idea into my

can cupboard sometime soon. It looks very nice and will work for us too. Thank you so much.

Merry Christmas,

Julia in Orlando, FL

What a great idea. I have been trying to figure out what to do as I live in a travel trailer. Thanks for the input.

I love your idea...I need to show my dh your this pic and see what he thinks of it.

Ziggee

Great idea..I need some help with my cupboard and this looks like it will solve my problem with about 3 shelves. Thanks

What a great idea! Thanks for the picture--it really makes it clear what you are talking about and makes it easy for us to duplicate your great idea. I think even I can do this. Thanks!

Thats one of the neatest ideas I've seen in ages.......thanks for shareing!!!!! deb

This looks like a great idea. We have been storing canned goods on shelves in the basement....nothing wrong with that probably for most folks but I just don't like to go in the basement. Hubby spends a lot of time down there as he has a basement workshop; however he is not good at keeping inventory of the canned goods! So I plan on not buying as many in the future and also am gonna start storing more upstairs in my laundry room. I have two pantry closets in there and have been spending time getting them organized. The deeper one I am using for small appliances and cleaning products and the one with narrower depth shelves is gonna be for food items. One whole wide shelf devoted to canned goods should be enough and since they will not be stacked probably more than 3 or 4 deep, I should be able to see what I have! We definitely have wasted canned food because altho it does not spoil if the can is not damaged, it sure doesn't taste good when it's past its prime!

Love the idea of organizing the canned goods. I'm not sure if you have elevated the back but I would want that done if and when my husband could do it so the cans would roll forward. I have very deep shelves too and it's easy for them to get lost. Great job.

Awesome. I am gonna build one just like that.

This is the best and most inexpensive way to organise the pantry shelves I've seen yet. So many of the organisation sites seem to want you to spend lots of money on organising systems-how is that thrifty?!

But this one uses what most of us already have on hand-it's easy to raise a pre-existing shelf so that it slopes forward (use wedges at the back under the support) and the stop at the front can be made with stuff lying around the shed or garage.

Thank-you Thrifty Tips for bringing this great tip back!

I have a pull out shelves in my kitchen where I store the canned goods. When I come home from the store I take a sharpie marker and write what the item is on the top of the can. It sure saves time when I'm looking for something and also my grandchildren like to read the tops of the cans and like to pick out their favorite fruit to go along with our dinner.

Melanie,

How did you determine the angle of the slant for the shelving? I probably over-think these things but could you tell me how much higher the back of the shelf is than the front. Thank-you.

I hae open storage shelf's (my letter will not type the letter I need.) I write the name, best by date on the bottom. I can look under the shelf it is on and see what I need if things get out of place which they seem to do. Writing the best by date is ery helpful. I turn the cans upside down to make sure they get used first.

What a great idea. Thank you for the picture as it makes it much clearer for me.

Organizing Canned Goods
Organizing Canned Goods
Organizing KitchenDecember 17, 2005
bartering hand shake
Bartering for Goods and Services
Storing Dry Goods
Storing Dry Goods
Dry Goods
Freezing Dry Goods
straining can 2
Straining Canned Goods
🎉
🎄