Cement Stain on Clothing

My son works for a concrete outfit and his jeans come home caked with clay, or mud, or just plain dirt. I have a terrible time getting them clean. Any suggestions?

By MrsMom from Cumberland, WI

Try the following:

Mix 1/2 tsp. of dish washing soap or fabric detergent into 1 (8 oz.)cup of warm water. Then blot it out... be patient as it may take some time. If the spot or stain turns brownish when dry, mix 1 part white vinegar and two parts water. Apply a small amount and blot.

My latest stain remover, from this site, is Dawn Dishwashing Liquid, the original blue one.

I filled an old spray bottle around 3/4 with plain tap water and added Dawn. I didn't measure the Dawn, but the water rose as I squeezed the Dawn in. Now I use it for all my laundry.

But, for cement, I'd start with washing them in the sink. I'd do warm water and Dawn and soak overnight. What could it hurt? You might have to do it again (and again).

Good luck. Write back and let us know what works.

If he is old enough to work in concrete he can wash his own clothes. Tell him to hose them off good before he puts them in the washer. If you have a power washer that will work even better. Personally I would take them to a laundryette once a week. Why put that in your washer.

No offense to Metro but do you really think this woman who has raised this grown man should stand over the sink and wash his clothes? Over and over? Maybe my thinking is off.

If your son is old enough to work in concrete he is most definitely old enough to wash his own clothes. What a disservice you are doing to him, and any girls he may date and live or marry in the future. He's going to think its her job. Teach your son to respect women, not that they are supposed to do his personal chores for him.

I am a stay-at-home mom and I love to care for my family. My son has the knowledge and capabilities to do his own laundry, and he does when the need arises. However, I am more than glad to provide these daily little love-chores for my family! Thanks for your responses. I'm going to try the hints out.

A bottle 2 liters of 7up. It has worked for me.

Agree with a few other posters, especially AnnParker. Get him to hose down in the backyard before coming in the house, leave his work clothing somewhere to drip so they're not gunking up your other laundry or your washer.

And direct him to the nearest laundromat on his day off.

We had three girls and a boy, and all of them learned how to do their own wash, cook to stay alive, change a flat and balance a checkbook ( among other things, you get my drift) before they grew up and moved on.

My son does a better load of wash than his wife, and she is better at car repairs.

Don't kill yourself; give him the opportunity to do for himself. He'll better appreciate the clean uniforms, that's a promise.

For those of you posting "let him wash his own clothes" apparently have never had any one that has worked construction before. My husband went to work Thursday morning at 3:30am and worked 18 hours, counting driving time, he got home at 1am Friday morning and had to leave at 1:30am to go back to work. They have a hard job and the least I can do is wash his clothes for him. That doesn't make him lazy. He works long hard hours to provide for our family and I love him for that. There's nothing wrong with a mother helping her son!!!

I completely agree! My fiance works nights on bridges and only has a day and a half off on weekends. I'm off weekends and the least I can do is wash his work clothes. I usually scrape off the excess concrete and stuff before washing them. It's cut down on the chunks and pieces of crud in the washer and dryer.

I'm sure this woman's son is fully capable of doing his own laundry. Work schedules and how physically exhausted they are has to be taken into consideration. Giver her hints and advice, but DO NOT bring her and her son down because he busts his butt and she's taking the laundry off his list of other things to worry about.

July 13, 2010 Flag

My 3 year old was playing in wet cement in her new jeans, and they now have cement stains on them. I soaked them immediately in water, however this had no affect. Any suggestions?

Cass Q from Melbourne, Australia

Cement Stain on Clothing

You need to be more concerned about the fact that a child was playing in wet cement rather than worrying about the stains on the jeans! Wet cement can cause extremely serious burns to the skin. No one should allow wet cement on their skin for more than a brief moment. Wash it off quickly or you could be in serious medical trouble! Do a search on "dangers of wet cement" or something similar. I have personally seen grown men in horrible pain and with severe damage to their skin because they thought they could "work" the concrete while wading around in it barefoot or it running into their shoes or boots or kneeling directly on it to "finish" the surface. Some people refer to it as cement poisoning or cement burns. I know kids love to put their hand-prints into wet cement and you can do that.....but wash their hands quickly afterward. (06/01/2006)

By Grandma Margie

Cement Stain on Clothing

My husband is a cement finisher (of 35 years) and I have never found anything that gets cement off his jeans or work shirts. (06/02/2006)

Cement Stain on Clothing

Try using "Lime-Away" or "CLR" since cement is a lime based product. I used "Lime-Away" on a bathtub and downspout that had some cement on it. It ate it right off. Just make sure you rinse the clothes in cold water to remove the chemicals. (09/16/2006)

By Jodie

Cement Stain on Clothing

The Lime-Away worked great! My four year old got some splashed on her from watching her dad mix it. She came in, I rinsed it, and was troubled that it would not come off. I found this site and tried a lime rust bathroom cleaner. I tired it in an inconspicuous place and was astonished that with a little rubbing from a cleaning brush it washed right away. It did remove it all. Thanks for the great advice! I am not sure it would work for dried on cement, but it was great for an immediate treatment! (10/13/2007)

By Eliza

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJuly 13, 2010
Stains on Cement
Removing Stains on Cement
rusty tools
Removing Rust Stains from Fabric and Clothing
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors