Can SSI Be Garnished for Child Support? - Categories:

Child SupportLegal

Can SSI Be Garnished for Child Support?

My ex owes $25,000 in back child support and just got SSI with a lump sum of money how does that work?

By ppattt from Fort Myers, FL

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Check with Social Security or your child support collection officer. I am assuming you have a case manager in the child support collection office.

Ditto what Redhatterb said.

Ditto on checking with your social security case worker but, as far as I know, just because you received a lump sum for back disability pay is not going to let your ex off the hook for what he/she owes. Be sure to talk to your case worker about benefits for your children if they are minors and/or still in school. Also, talk to them about possible taxes on the lump sum so that you're prepared if you might owe any. There are special rules for disability income.

I and it sounds like others are confused about who received the lump sum payment. If you are owed support immediately file a claim with your child support office they will know the laws better.

Yes! I would call division of child enforcement and let them know. They will take out a lump sum every month until the debt is paid in full.

Good Luck!

Gem

The Reason that SSI and the large back-pay lump sum cannot be garnished is because:

In the case of disability there are 2 types of income,

A. SSDI

B. SSI

SSDI can be garnished because they worked and this is their reward I guess, but because they worked for it and it's a larger amount of money they can take it and they will before he gets it, thats including the back-pay-he won't get a cent of that.

SSI (supplemental security income) is, well, poor people.

Its more of a low-income needs based income for people that didn't have enough work credits to get SSDI so the law says that nothing can touch that money because there isn't enough of it there to garnish.

As for SSI's back pay, thats a loop hole in the process. because nothing can touch the monthly money the back pay is a lump sum of the monthly money he should have been getting the whole time he was waiting so they can't touch that either.

In your situation if he didn't give you any money out of that then he is the bastard and I think that you can take him to court for that money but until then his monthly child support bill will add up and he'll probably lose his drivers license.

RIckyAlatorre, The thing you are incorrect about is the difference between SSDI and SSI. I am disabled and I worked for 35 years (most of them 50 to 80 hours a week) and paid in to the social security system all of those years! I was put on SSI because of the severity of my medical condition, current financial condition and hence current needs.

Just wanted to let you know that SSI does not necessarily mean a person was poor and had not paid their equal share in to the system for the majority of their life before needing the assistance we paid for that the government did not 'invest and earn interest' as originally promised would be done! No, the government ended up putting that money in the general spending coffers instead! Had the government originally kept the investment promise there would be plenty plus more of interest earnings to cover all who are 'truly' entitled!

No! SSDI and Social Security can be garnished for child support, but SSI can't be garnished. The reason is that SSI is not considered as income, in the sense that the recipient earned it or that it comes from earnings that was paid in to Social Security. SSI does not come from the Social Security fund, but is given to low income people who don't qualify for Social Security or SSDI, and SSI is not considered as income, like Social Security and SSDI is.

In Arkansas they don't give u one large amount but three different installments and normally they will garnish whatever before u even see it but here they dont do child support garnishes because my dad has been on disability since I was three and when they divorced i was 13 I still haven't got anything from him and he still gets a check!!! And my sister gets a check and her babydaddy has custody of their kid he couldnt even get a child support case started shes disabled!!!! Kinda messed up cuz he needs help and my mom did to theres 10 of us he didn't have to help pay for!!! System failure!!!!!:( and they don't all treat u w respect trust me my moms is mean and rude all the time and doesn't like to listen!!!

Business and Legal Legal Child SupportFebruary 23, 2011
Writing a child support check.
Paying Back Child Support
child support paperwork
Are Siblings Accountable for Back Child Support?
Child Support Money
Paying Child Support
Child Support Worksheet
Getting Remarried and Child Support
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 9:59:48 AM on 10.0.2.223 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.