Use Tray for Containers in Refrigerator

I live in an older mobile with the original refrigerator. The light doesn't work and most of the slats for the shelves are broken. For this reason, I have to keep the shelves pretty close together and I find that limiting in keeping things from getting shoved into the back and forgotten.

Then, I found an old tray from a camper refrigerator and came up with a pretty nifty idea. If you have food storage containers that fit inside it, and they are not too tall, you can use this as a tray of sorts,and slide it in and out. The only drawback I found, is that if you don't hold it when you pull it out, you can lose the stuff in front. That just means you have to hold it with one hand while putting in or taking out the container.

For me, it's a small price to pay for knowing you can fit 5 or 6 containers. I use these just for leftovers, so I know to look there first for foods. I hope this helps. You might be able to do the same thing with an old cake pan you no longer use. Just coat it with newspaper or foil, and slide it from front to back or from side to side.

By Poor But Proud from Coos Bay, OR

Thanks from a member in Sutherlin. You always have such great tips!

I find that inexpensive Plastic Baskets work well for my Refrigerators & upright Freezers. I put all of DH breakfast items in one basket that he can set on the table for himself and one for leftovers, etc.. The only place I haven't "basketed" yet is the top shelf, nothing I have found yet is suitable. The search is on!

Thanks for the tip. The part that I like best and am now starting to use is to use a tray to hold leftovers and check that first when making a meal. It results in way fewer mystery containers in the back of the fridge.

An open refrigerator.
Organizing Your Refrigerator
Photos OrganizationAugust 13, 2010
veggie plate
Making a Vegetable Party Tray
DVD Player
DVD Player Tray Won't Open
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
🎉
🎄