Making a Vegetable Party Tray

Category Vegetables
Always a hit for at parties and holiday gatherings, a fresh, colorful veggie tray is easy to arrange and very nutritious. This is a guide about making a vegetable party tray.

You see it at all parties... those that think no one is looking and they double dip, right? On Thanksgiving, I was preparing my vegetables for the platter, and as I was cutting everything up, I started cutting them very small. Bite size pieces. Pieces only 1 inch long. Dip once and it's gone! Everyone was remarking that it was easier to dip and put on the appetizer dish.

"No more double dippers!" Yeah!

Total Time: Just minutes depending on how many veggies you are doing. It's a

Yield: As much as can be eaten according to the crowd you are feeding

Source: *Light Bulb went off in my brain*

This veggie tree is a "hit" of the party; use any type of vegetable or fruit you want to use with your favorite dip. The veggie tree can be used at any type of party; change the decoration on the tray to reflect holiday or occasion. This one was for Christmas.

For the veggie tree - wrap styrofoam cone with curly lettuce; insert 1/2 toothpick into the veggie to place on the cone; start at the bottom; layer veggies cut to size if applicable (cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, radishes, broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, carrots,etc.); use a cherry tomato at the top.

For the fruit tree - cut apple slices and soak them in lemon juice; wrap styrofoam cone with curly lettuce or kale leaves; place 1/2 toothpick into apple to stick into the cone; layer fruit from the bottom; use a piece of star fruit at the top.

To display:

Use a tray with a side on it; layer with rock salt; place "decorated" cone in the center; decorate with resin figurines and figures; you can use small pine boughs, holly leaves to decorate tray; on one side, place a small bowl to hold dip; on the other side a small toothpick holder to hold toothpicks. A small votive candle could be placed on the display if the tray is large enough.

Dips for veggie tree could be bottled salad dressing or homemade; fruit dips can be bought at the grocery store or homemade.

It is a conversation piece plus a healthy snack for holiday enjoyment.

By WandaJo from TN

When I was a kid we had a carrot curler. Think of it as a vegetable peeler on one end of the gadget, peeling a thin uniform layer of carrot as the vegetable rotates around a small spiked spindle, and hand-powered on the other end of the carrot by turning a crank on the gadget, the carrot being held on the crank end by jamming it into a holder which twirls as the operator turns the crank and applies pressure toward the vegetable-peeler end. Out come the most perfect carrot curls, which if freshened in ice water make the most delightful little-girl curls for a great vegetable tray!

Mother's carrot curler got so dull we couldn't use it so it has been discarded. If such a gadget is available nowadays, I'd love to know how to get one.

-Sally

Answers

Pampered Chef, which does in-home presentations probably has a website. I have seen their apple peeler in action. You would need to ask if that works on carrots or if they have a separate item for carrots.
http://www.pamperedchef.com

Here's a device that is supposed to curl carrots:

http://www.kitc  s.com/16915.html

and another:

http://fantes.c  shing.htm#carrot

To make carrot curls, cut thin strips of medium sized carrots with a vegetable peeler. Roll each strip and fasten with a tooth pick. Chill in ice water.. Remove toothpicks and serve. Makes beautiful garnish for plates and soups.

By Sarah Muise

Hi!
I've been looking everywhere for the same thing, and I found it!
It's called a Beriner BN5 Vegetable Turning Slicer. (At least that's the Brand and Model that I was looking for.) If you type that into a Google search, it will show MANY listings! I found it on several sites, the cheapest had it for $79.95, it's usually around 100.00. I was looking for the one with a fine blade, because some of the other brands and models only come with three blade, which does not include a fine blade. So, good luck! And remember to use Google.com, because I've tried yahoo and other search engines and they didn't show it :)

Carrot Curler
http://www.kitc  nd.asp?pn=FP4449
Add an elegant touch with this handy curler. Just like sharpening a pencil, you can have ribbons of carrots for garnishing. Use also with squash, zucchini and parsnips. Dishwasher safe, 4-3/4" long.

These are made by Norpro and look like a big pencil sharpener with a handle. They are great - I think you can get them from Amazon.com.