Making a Vegetable Party Tray

Category Vegetables
Always a hit for at parties and holiday gatherings, a fresh, colorful veggie tray is easy to arrange and very nutritious. This is a guide about making a vegetable party tray.

You see it at all parties... those that think no one is looking and they double dip, right? On Thanksgiving, I was preparing my vegetables for the platter, and as I was cutting everything up, I started cutting them very small. Bite size pieces. Pieces only 1 inch long. Dip once and it's gone! Everyone was remarking that it was easier to dip and put on the appetizer dish.
"No more double dippers!" Yeah!

Total Time: Just minutes depending on how many veggies you are doing. It's a

Yield: As much as can be eaten according to the crowd you are feeding

Source: *Light Bulb went off in my brain*

When I was a kid we had a carrot curler. Think of it as a vegetable peeler on one end of the gadget, peeling a thin uniform layer of carrot as the vegetable rotates around a small spiked spindle, and hand-powered on the other end of the carrot by turning a crank on the gadget, the carrot being held on the crank end by jamming it into a holder which twirls as the operator turns the crank and applies pressure toward the vegetable-peeler end. Out come the most perfect carrot curls, which if freshened in ice water make the most delightful little-girl curls for a great vegetable tray!

Mother's carrot curler got so dull we couldn't use it so it has been discarded. If such a gadget is available nowadays, I'd love to know how to get one.

-Sally

Answers

Pampered Chef, which does in-home presentations probably has a website. I have seen their apple peeler in action. You would need to ask if that works on carrots or if they have a separate item for carrots.
http://www.pamperedchef.com

Here's a device that is supposed to curl carrots:

http://www.kitc  s.com/16915.html

and another:

http://fantes.c  shing.htm#carrot

To make carrot curls, cut thin strips of medium sized carrots with a vegetable peeler. Roll each strip and fasten with a tooth pick. Chill in ice water.. Remove toothpicks and serve. Makes beautiful garnish for plates and soups.

By Sarah Muise

By Marina (Guest Post)

Hi!
I've been looking everywhere for the same thing, and I found it!
It's called a Beriner BN5 Vegetable Turning Slicer. (At least that's the Brand and Model that I was looking for.) If you type that into a Google search, it will show MANY listings! I found it on several sites, the cheapest had it for $79.95, it's usually around 100.00. I was looking for the one with a fine blade, because some of the other brands and models only come with three blade, which does not include a fine blade. So, good luck! And remember to use Google.com, because I've tried yahoo and other search engines and they didn't show it :)

By vij363 (Guest Post)

Carrot Curler
http://www.kitc  nd.asp?pn=FP4449
Add an elegant touch with this handy curler. Just like sharpening a pencil, you can have ribbons of carrots for garnishing.

Use also with squash, zucchini and parsnips. Dishwasher safe, 4-3/4" long.

By Jo (Guest Post)

These are made by Norpro and look like a big pencil sharpener with a handle. They are great - I think you can get them from Amazon.com.