Feathers Coming Out of a Down Jacket

Category Repairing
This is a guide about feathers coming out of down jacket. Pushing the feathers back into the coat and fluffing the jacket in a cool dryer may help slow the loss of feathers.

I just purchased a down-filled jacket, on sale, for the price of $9.00! It's obviously not top quality, but for $9.00, why not, right? Well, I wore it to church last night, and when I took it off, my black shirt was COVERED in down feathers! (I see why it was so cheap!) Which leads to my question, Any ideas what I can do to stop the feathers from coming through the lining? For $9.00 I'll keep it, but it would be nice to find a solution.

Carol from Ontario, Canada

Best Answer

What I have learned is to never pull the feathers out. Instead, pull the feathers back in. Pulling feathers out causes bigger openings in the fabric and resulting in more feathers to follow through.

Fluffing the coat in a dryer without heat for about 15 minutes seems to help. Most escaping feathers working their way out as a result from wearing and use.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I have a Rab Microlight Alpine which cost £180 (uk). I've had it a few weeks and have also found some external feather loss. I did my research before buying and weighed up my options against a synthetic equivalent.

The thing is this... it's just a fact that all down jackets with thinner pertex or ribbed stitches will lose some down. It may seem like a huge problem visually, but the down you see is actually a tiny proportion of the overall fill.

Make sure protruding feathers are 'pinched' back into the garment and not pulled outwards. This will prevent smaller holes being enlarged. Secondly, on cold heat, give your beloved jacket a 'fluff' up in the dryer for around 10 minutes. This will fluff the feathers, making it more difficult for them to pass theough the seams.

If you chose down, you have to accept that some birds will try and leave the nest quite often.

Anonymous

I just bought a Ralph Lauren light down coat. Feathers already coming on to clothing. This has been a relentless quest!

Anonymous

I purchased in £170 from "Go Outdoor", its very good, warm, but it disappoints me with the feathers sticking on my shirt/pullover. Its really disappointing..... I will never purchase another dawn jacket in my lifetime.

Anonymous

It all hinders on the jacket's construction during manufacture. If the baffles (which house the down feathers) of the jacket's thin outter shell is sewn together prior to the stuffing, there will be absolutely no issues with feathering. However this is time consuming and costly because each baffle is filled individually. The alternative to this (primarily to keep costs down) is "spread n sew". This method is performed just how it sounds, by spreading the feathers then sewing it up. The problem with this however is what you're experiencing, feather leakage. Where the feathers sewn into the stitch become loose from wear and come out. Since down feathers strands have millions of these little J-hooked hairs, they tend to bring others with. Another thing to consider is the needle, tension and thread used on the sewing machines during the garments manufactur process; were they the correct ones for that specific application.

Sources:

I worked for Moncler®, a French outdoor/ski company, from 1987 to 2003.

Anonymous

Same problem as everyone. Mine was a thrift store find and I washed it, following all care instructions. It survived the wash but my dryer got it, evidenced by the lint trap looking like two birds duked it out while pecking holes all along the seams. I did manage to seal most of the holes on the outside by placing on each a small drop of super glue gel and letting it dry. Exteriorly, the seam runs on the underside of the arms so it didn't affect it too much visually. I didn't see many feathers internally at first. Then I took it off. I looked like the losing bird. I'm going to get more glue and try out i to seal the inside.

I just seen a video on youtube that says to spray the inside of the jacket with hair spray and thats suppose to do the trick. Going to give it a try.

Anonymous

Well mine is warm as heck but I paid 100 and some changes its beginning to shed what must I do

Well I just paid $90 for mine and it does the same thing!!

I have the same problem. I just bought a Calvin klein mid length down coat that I absolutely love and is so warm. I dont want to return it. I think I should have sized up one size. I think we flatten the feathers through daily use and they leak through. I read washing and drying the fluffs the feathers and stop the leakish some. But I think it will all happen just not as much.