Chicken Pulling Out Its Feathers

Category Birds
There are several reasons that a chicken may be pulling out its feathers. Some careful investigation and a good understanding of how to successfully raise chickens will help you determine the cause. This is a guide about chicken pulling out its feathers.

My chickens are molting at the moment. My concern is that one of the hens is pulling out her own feathers! Should I be concerned or is this normal. I only have five hens and they don't seem to have any lice causing them this strange behavior. The only feathers left on her are her wings and head. What a sight! Can anyone please help?

Carolyn from South Africa

Answers

I don't know if this helps or not, but my in-laws African Gray parrot would do this. It was young, and attributed to nervous behavior, it had to go through a long move (they were building a home) and any change in it's environment would set it off. May be just a nervous chicken. Do you have vets that are in the area for livestock?