Cat is Pulling Out Its Hair

Category Cats
Long haired calico cat seated and grooming it's side against a white background.
Determining why your cat is pulling out her hair is the first step to remedying the problem. This is a guide about cat is pulling out her hair.

My cat is 2 years and 5 months old. She was the runt of the litter so she's pretty small. Lately she's been pulling out all of the hair at her lower back and the bottom half of her tail. She had a beautiful coat, but now that whole section looks bare, as if she was 12 and not 2. It's not just falling out because I have seen her just tear it of in the middle of cleaning herself. If anyone knows what could be wrong with her please help me! I just want to help her, but I don't know what to do.

Something is wrong here-your cat would not be pulling out hair if she did not have a problem. Please take her to your vet immediately-she may have an infection, mange, scabies, lice and many other possibilities that can easily be treated. She needs your help now!

I agree with DCA- there's a problem on her skin which is bothering her so much she's pulling out the hair to get to it.

Hi Fallen, yes the best answer is always take your pet to a vet first to make sure there is no medical reason for her pulling out her hair. I have a cat that pulls out her back hair and tail at different times of the year. I took her to a vet and the vet had no idea why she was doing this other than to say it must be an unknown allergy. I have another cat in my household with a full coat of hair that is not pulling out his hair. So, I tried some frontline advanced and she stopped pulling out her hair. Now, I just apply it a few times a year (follow directions on product, at back of her head at apply it,) and she no longer pulls out her hair. I am guessing it could be dust mites or something similar?? Well, that worked for my cat.