Parakeet Losing Its Feathers

Category Birds
Parakeet
If your parakeet is losing feathers you will need to determine the cause. This is a guide about parakeet losing its feathers.

My parakeet loses his feathers and has a bald spot on the belly area. He is eating and acting normally. What possibly could have happened? We got him Thanksgiving of 2010. Thank you.

By gaboong from Fountain Valley, CA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Have you noticed the budgie scratching itself a lot lately? Could be mites from some of the forums I've read for you. I'd take the bird to the vet and have it looked at to be on the safe side.

Please call an Avian Veterinarian and make an appt. then you will be sure of what's going on. Good luck.

I agree to taking your bird friend to the vet. Also, keets love to be held and played with. If his wings are clipped he could play outside the cage on a play stand. They love their daily baths too. Use a shallow saucer.

Sometimes our avian friends pluck themselves when they are bored or unhappy. Other times it could require a vets attention. Try a slice of apple, or raw broccoli or carrot wedged between the bars of the cage. That should keep him/her busy.

It's worth a try. It works for my birds and i have 13 of various types. But first and foremost, see an avian vet.

Maybe your parakeet is molting. They have special food at the pet store when a bird is molting.

Why my parakeet has no feathers on its belly. Eats, and flies around in his cage fine

Our female parakeet keeps laying eggs (we have a male but he doesn't get in her cage). She is losing her chest feathers. She doesn't seem sick and she doesn't itch. Could you please help us? Thanks.

By Don

Maybe she's acting like chickens do... is trying to build a nest as she doesn't have supplies for that, so she 's using de chest feathers.

I remember as a child the chickens of my mother did so to make the nest warm.

She lay eggs and want little ones. Maybe if you gave her a nest plus pieces of wool, grass, little things to build a nest.

Eliane

Too much light. Too many hours. Like a commercial chicken. Egg laying chickens get at least 14 hours of light a day. A dark cover on cage but i don't know how is best to cut back the hours. All at once or slowly? Also she will need vitamins as she is depleted. Vet needed as perhaps too much calcium could harm and not help. Call a bird vet please before you lose her.

Anonymous

This is called a brood (incubation) patch and is completely normal. Since the male is not in the cage to breed with her simply remove the eggs as soon as they are laid. I learned about brood patches when I had a couple of finches (Romeo and Juliet) quite a few years ago. Here's more information about it so you won't worry that something is wrong with her:

http://birding.  g/broodpatch.htm

My parakeet loses her feathers every day, but doesn't seem to have a bald spot. She's energetic and and is playful more than my male parakeet. Why is she losing her feathers?

By Sara G

I think you'll find if she's wet you may see the bald spots. If it's summer where you are then it's pretty natural for birds to drop feathers. Other than that if she's scratching a lot she may have mites - you will need to buy a mite spray for both birds. More info can be found it you Google " parrots feather drop" or general parrot breeding & care.

My parakeet is losing feathers and has a kind of long beak, but the other parakeet seems just fine. Their cage is next to an energetic canary. Please reply soon I am really worried!

By Eve

We have a pair of budgies and one started pulling out its feathers and the other one was fine. Then a few weeks later the other bird started pulling its feathers out. What do we do?

By Ashlee B