Parakeet Losing Its Feathers

Category Birds
If your parakeet is losing feathers you will need to determine the cause. This is a guide about parakeet losing its feathers.

My parakeet loses his feathers and has a bald spot on the belly area. He is eating and acting normally. What possibly could have happened? We got him Thanksgiving of 2010. Thank you.

By gaboong from Fountain Valley, CA

Answers

Have you noticed the budgie scratching itself a lot lately? Could be mites from some of the forums I've read for you. I'd take the bird to the vet and have it looked at to be on the safe side.

Please call an Avian Veterinarian and make an appt. then you will be sure of what's going on. Good luck.

I agree to taking your bird friend to the vet. Also, keets love to be held and played with. If his wings are clipped he could play outside the cage on a play stand. They love their daily baths too. Use a shallow saucer.

Sometimes our avian friends pluck themselves when they are bored or unhappy. Other times it could require a vets attention. Try a slice of apple, or raw broccoli or carrot wedged between the bars of the cage. That should keep him/her busy.

It's worth a try. It works for my birds and i have 13 of various types. But first and foremost, see an avian vet.

Maybe your parakeet is molting. They have special food at the pet store when a bird is molting.

Why my parakeet has no feathers on its belly. Eats, and flies around in his cage fine

I have a parakeet that is molting really badly. I took it to the vet and was given oatmeal/steroid spray and have not yet seen an improvement. What else can I do?

Answers

Make sure that your bird has access to a birdbath, and try lightly misting its feathers with water once a day. If it consists, I'd go back to the vet, especially because what they gave did not work.

Supplementation of animal protein and vitamins in the diet of breeders.

Pulling abnormal and loose feathers to stimulate replacement.

Limit breeding to two clutches per breeding pair per year.

Selection against French molt in the breeding program.

Affected birds sometimes recover spontaneously at the first molt within 6 to 8 months of age; however, severely affected birds may never develop normal plumage.

Source: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm043

Molting can be a normal happening but you must feel that your baby is beyond normal but what did the vet say?

• Did the vet say this was normal and would soon heal and go away (until next year)? Or did they say it was more than that? If they did not give you a clear picture of what is wrong and how long it should last then it is time to either see the vet again (free of charge) or at least make a phone call and get a better answer - after all, you paid for an answer.
  • Ad

• Parakeets go through molting seasons pretty much throughout their little lives. Molting is the normal process that eliminates old, worn out feathers to make way for new ones to grow in, kind of like shedding in dogs and cats. Parakeets start molting when they're approximately 12 weeks old and will molt yearly after that.
  • Your parakeet should molt evenly, losing about the same amount of feathers on each side and shouldn't have any bald spots. It is normal for him to act a little crabby or sick during molting because it takes so much energy, but he should continue to eat, drink and preen himself.
  • Some things that might help: Keep him warm. Eliminate drafts and don't let the temperature in his room drop below 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Feed him a high-quality diet even when he's not molting. Good nutrition -- quality parakeet food along with fresh fruits and vegetables -- during a molt is crucial.
  • Ad

• Talk to your vet about a vitamin supplement to give him during molting season. If you don't typically provide your little one with a cuttlebone be sure to give him one when he's molting for extra calcium.
  • Spritzing your parakeet with warm water during molting season will help keep him comfortable as the shower will soothe his itchy skin.
  • Be sure he has a clean bath area available at all times. If he is not taking baths then try to change his bath area.

Bald patches are not part of molting. A bird who is losing a lot of feathers, leaving behind bald spots needs to be checked for the cause. Illness, parasites, boredom, malnutrition and dry conditions can all lead to bald spots. He is probably pulling out his own feathers. He may just need more exercise, better food or more water for baths, but he could also be ill.

Our female parakeet keeps laying eggs (we have a male but he doesn't get in her cage). She is losing her chest feathers. She doesn't seem sick and she doesn't itch. Could you please help us? Thanks.

By Don

Answers

Maybe she's acting like chickens do... is trying to build a nest as she doesn't have supplies for that, so she 's using de chest feathers.
I remember as a child the chickens of my mother did so to make the nest warm.
She lay eggs and want little ones. Maybe if you gave her a nest plus pieces of wool, grass, little things to build a nest.

Eliane

Too much light. Too many hours. Like a commercial chicken. Egg laying chickens get at least 14 hours of light a day. A dark cover on cage but i don't know how is best to cut back the hours. All at once or slowly? Also she will need vitamins as she is depleted. Vet needed as perhaps too much calcium could harm and not help. Call a bird vet please before you lose her.

Anonymous

This is called a brood (incubation) patch and is completely normal. Since the male is not in the cage to breed with her simply remove the eggs as soon as they are laid. I learned about brood patches when I had a couple of finches (Romeo and Juliet) quite a few years ago. Here's more information about it so you won't worry that something is wrong with her:

http://birding.  g/broodpatch.htm

My parakeet loses her feathers every day, but doesn't seem to have a bald spot. She's energetic and and is playful more than my male parakeet. Why is she losing her feathers?

By Sara G

Answers

I think you'll find if she's wet you may see the bald spots. If it's summer where you are then it's pretty natural for birds to drop feathers. Other than that if she's scratching a lot she may have mites - you will need to buy a mite spray for both birds. More info can be found it you Google " parrots feather drop" or general parrot breeding & care.

My parakeet is losing feathers and has a kind of long beak, but the other parakeet seems just fine. Their cage is next to an energetic canary. Please reply soon I am really worried!

By Eve

We have a pair of budgies and one started pulling out its feathers and the other one was fine. Then a few weeks later the other bird started pulling its feathers out. What do we do?

By Ashlee B