Crocheted Drying Hanger

Wooden hanger has a crocheted cover and clothespins attached to use for drying your hand washables or small items.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

• yarn or household twine
  • crochet hook K or smaller if using yarn
  • 6 clothespins
  • drill
  • scissors
  • wooden hanger

Instructions:

Crochet a cover for a wood hanger by measuring how wide it is and chain as many as needed to make the cover 2 times as wide as the hanger. I used twisted white cotton twine. My hanger was 1 1/4 inches wide so I made mine 2 1/2 inches wide.

I chained 7, single crocheted in the second chain from the hook, single crocheted in 6 chains, chain 1 and turn. 6 single crochets, chain 1 and turn. 6 sc, chain 1 and turn. Back and forth until it is as long as the hanger and twice as wide.

Find the center of the piece you just made and stick the hook of the hanger in a hole in the middle. Fold the piece over and hand sew the ends and bottom so the hanger is covered with the crocheted piece you made. Stretching it as needed. Tie a knot at the end and tuck it into the ends.

Drill holes using a battery operated drill into the ends of the clothespins being careful not to split the wood.

Mark evenly on the bottom of the cover 7 places: one in the center and one on each end and then 2 in between.This is where you will be attaching the string that holds the clothespins.

If you are using yarn you can chain a long string to use. Or I was using twisted twine so I just cut a long piece off. Make it at least 32 inches long. That's extra just in case.

Attach to one end and tie. String it through the hole in the clothespin and let it hang down about 1 1/2 inches then go up and attach by tying a knot at the next mark. Attach another clothespin and attach by tying a knot at the next mark until you have 6 clothespins on and they are hanging down evenly. Tie a knot at the end of the hanger. Cut off extra string and tuck in the end.You can use a crochet hook to get the string through the crocheted cover if it is tightly crocheted.

I use mine to hang dry plastic bags I wash to reuse, small items such as bibs, nylons, bras, panties, mittens, etc. I hang it above my washer on a rod and use it a lot.

By Little Suzy from Millbury, OH

Little Suzy, That is so clever! Definitely putting this one on the craft to do list. I crochet, but non-crocheters could easily substitute scrap fabric for your crocheted piece.

Tracey in Jacksonville FL

This is such a wonderful idea & what a great gift for that person that has everything or who lives in a small space! I'd use it to dry my socks. I might also stagger the length of the dangles. It might not look as nice, but this way things (socks) might dry easier.

Another idea would be to use nylon rope instead of yarn (of the same thickness). The kind of rope you buy in the hardware store or fishing store. It comes in several colors & can be found in black in the yarn area of most Walmart stores. Nylon rope super durable & won't soak up moisture like yarn can.

Thank you for taking the time to post this!

PS. Nice pictures too!

Omit the clothes pins and hang blouses etc. that usually fall off the hangers. You could use yarn to cover the hangers.

Margaret

Margaret

My aunt used to cover wire hangers with yarn, but I never actually saw her do it. I guess I could try just single crocheting around the whole hanger. Any other ideas?

Crocheted Drying Hanger
Crocheted Drying Hanger
Crafts Crochet IdeasApril 15, 2009
Dried orange slices, bundle of cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
Drying Oranges
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
Colorful sweater hanging in a closet.
Removing Hanger Bumps on Sweaters
🎉
🎄