Uses for Alum Around the House

What other uses does alum have around the house besides cleaning a dirty bathtub?

By Holly from Lancaster, WI

Alum is excellent for sprinkling into all types of shoes. It helps to eliminate the odor of sweaty feet.

I believe it is also used for drying flowers.

I have used alum for canker sores in the mouth. And I have used alum for making pickles, it will keep the cucumbers from getting soft.

Yes, I do the pickles (all part of dilling) and the alum for mouth sores, whether you bit the cheek/tongue, braces catch it, or even a sore throat issue, it has healing agents. Granted, you won't keep it in very long. Make a little pinch fit in the cheek area, stand over the sink as long as you can, you droll some, when you can't stand it, spit and rinse with warm water. Disinfects too. Usually mouths sores gone in 1 day. Do not swallow.

small bottle of alum
Uses for Alum
Consumer Advice General AdviceJune 18, 2010
Someone dusting the corner of a room with a duster.
Keeping Your House Dusted
Reuse Slinky As Note Holder on your desk.
How to Reuse a Slinky
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
Plastic Lid Photo Ornament
Uses for Plastic Lids