How Long Can Bread Be Kept Frozen?

How long can bread be kept frozen, without significant loss of value?

Roy from London, Ontario

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By joan pecsek 88 545 02/14/2008

Bread can be frozen for up to a year but it does tend to dry out and loose some flavor. Double wrap it so it doesn't get freezerburned.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By KL 3 554 02/14/2008

I have found the denser breads and quick breads and whole grain breads freeze better/longer than fluffy white bread types. Hot dog buns from my experience have a very short freezer life before getting freezer burn no matter how well I wrap them. Sourdough bread freezes well.

Here's a link with estimated times:

If you can:
Don't use the freezer on top of your fridge for freezing breads for any length of time if your model has an auto-defrost.

And don't put your bread in the fridge.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Jennifer (Guest Post) 02/15/2008

Typically, bakery items can be frozen for up to 6 months.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By HJ 13 116 02/16/2008

I read, perhaps on this site, a suggestion to put two slices of loaf bread in a zip baggie, then put all the baggies back in the bread wrapper and freeze them. Then one baggie could be taken out at a time to thaw to make a sandwich or for toast. I haven't tried it, but thought it sounded like a good idea if the entire loaf wouldn't be used quickly.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Lynda (Guest Post) 02/16/2008

Depends totally upon the thickness and air tightness of the packaging. I've had little luck without extra
packaging around original. : )

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Bonnie (Guest Post) 10/28/2008

We go to the surplus bread stores and buy several loaves at a time, especially the muffin bread for toast. Then take two large paper grocery bags. Put the breads in one and put the other over the open end and bread will keep in there for a long time without losing moisture. The paper bags seems to keep the moisture from leaving the breads.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No