Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

How Long Can Bread Be Kept Frozen?

How long can bread be kept frozen, without significant loss of value?

Roy from London, Ontario

By

By Bonnie (Guest Post)10/28/2008

We go to the surplus bread stores and buy several loaves at a time, especially the muffin bread for toast. Then take two large paper grocery bags. Put the breads in one and put the other over the open end and bread will keep in there for a long time without losing moisture. The paper bags seems to keep the moisture from leaving the breads.

By Lynda (Guest Post)02/16/2008

Depends totally upon the thickness and air tightness of the packaging. I've had little luck without extra
packaging around original. : )

By HJ [10]02/16/2008

I read, perhaps on this site, a suggestion to put two slices of loaf bread in a zip baggie, then put all the baggies back in the bread wrapper and freeze them. Then one baggie could be taken out at a time to thaw to make a sandwich or for toast. I haven't tried it, but thought it sounded like a good idea if the entire loaf wouldn't be used quickly.

By Jennifer (Guest Post)02/15/2008

Typically, bakery items can be frozen for up to 6 months.

By KL [3]02/14/2008

I have found the denser breads and quick breads and whole grain breads freeze better/longer than fluffy white bread types. Hot dog buns from my experience have a very short freezer life before getting freezer burn no matter how well I wrap them. Sourdough bread freezes well.

Here's a link with estimated times:

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/fn579-1.htm#Breads

If you can:
Don't use the freezer on top of your fridge for freezing breads for any length of time if your model has an auto-defrost.

And don't put your bread in the fridge.

By joan pecsek [88]02/14/2008

Bread can be frozen for up to a year but it does tend to dry out and loose some flavor. Double wrap it so it doesn't get freezerburned.