Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

What is going on with my stove top? I recently moved and my new place has a white electric stove top that's seamless (ie., completely flat surfaced). The problem is, whenever I use it, huge black marks (they look like burn marks) show up on the stovetop. I thought it was from my cheap pots and pans so I got new ones and it did no good!

What is going on? And how can I clean them?

By Jennie from Tempe, AZ

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Use an old credit card or other such plastic to scrape any burned on residue. At Walmart a product called Weiman glass cook top cleaner in a 15oz bottle is what is good for cleaning the glass top. Just reapply if it doesn't all come off the first time around.

Also just in case you are not aware of the type of pots and pans to use on glass; don't use teflon on high heat or aluminum pans. Stainless steel is recommended and no porcelain coated pans (they are usually speckled over another color) or cast iron. You can actually pit the glass stove top if cooking with these and who knows what temperature is safe for using.

I have the same stove. It's a ceramic stove top. It will stain each time you use it, but it is not burn marks. Do not scrape it. Try a Mr. Clean eraser which works quite well, and also a scotch brite scrubber for stubborn stains. There is also a cleaner for this that you can buy which cleans it easily.

June 4, 2011 Flag

What do I need to clean my new smooth top oven with? I have heard to use a razor blade. Is that good?

By Jeanette B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser to clean mine. First I wipe everything I can with a wet cloth. Then I use the eraser on what's left.

Mr clean magic or plastic scrubber. Do not use anything you could not put on your eye glasses as far as cleaners. Scratching little layers of the final top can release the chemicals used in making of the cooking top. You can't tell as you scrape them, they will come off with the burnt food, etc.

I also use a razor blade but I also use a piece of one of those' magic' sponges. They work wonders on just about anything.

I use a razor blade all the time and it's fine as long as you use it flat.

December 6, 2011 Flag

I had some renters that burned the smooth top very black on the burners. Polishes, razor blades, and scrubbing doesn't work. Can I try wet sand paper, maybe 1500 and then move to 2000 and 3000 grit?

By Bruce M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it's like my friends, it's not burned but pitted. Look very carefully at the deepest angle you can, like almost laying your head on the surface. If you can run your fingers across it and it's a hole and not a bump, stop searching.

You can't fix a pitt. There is nothing you can do but charge them for their neglect and damage. Now, the caviot to that is I am not an expert at these tops so if you can show a photo to a salesperson, they might be able to help.

Good Luck. PBP

I too have a smooth top stove (white, unfortunately), but have found that some elbow grease, Soft Scrub and Scotch Brite work pretty well to get 'most' of the stain off. There may still be a bit of discoloration, but for the most part your stove should look pretty good.

Poor but Proud is correct. Last Christmas I was making fudge and the pan overflowed. The sugar ate away at the top and now there is a place that cannot be cleaned because it is pitted. Replacing one of these tops is very expensive, I am told. I would never put one of these glass top stoves in a rented place.

August 29, 2011 Flag

I have a black flat top stove and am looking for a way to clean it. It is worse around the burners after I grill or fry. Today, I used the white pasty glue and also the liquid spray, both recommended my the manufacturer. Any help or suggestions?

Thanks.

By Reda G.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Scrub those "burn rings" with baking soda and a blue Scotch Brite pad. Be sure it's the blue, non-scratch one and not the green one. If there is a heavy build-up, you can scrape most of it off with a single-edged razor, like the ones you use to scrape paint off windows. This was recommended by GE when I bought my stove.

September 8, 2010 Flag

How do I clean off burnt aluminum off of a ceramic stove top?

By Teresa from Lakeland, FL

Answers:

Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

I have a smooth top stove and I clean it with Bar Keepers Friend that you can find at most stores. Also take a very smooth knife and gently scrape that aluminum off with out digging into the surface of the stove. That works for me. I take the blunt edge of a knife to scrape mine. Just be careful. (07/20/2010)

By Mirage

Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

If you use a blade with a handle, (the type used for cleaning stickers and things off of windows) to clean off the big stuff first then a cleaner like Zudd, Bar Keepers Friend, Mother's Helper or just a wet dish cloth it should come clean. I have made messes while cooking jam and it all came off beautifully. A twin razor blade will work, but is not as safe as a window blade. It will also scrape off easier if it is wet or has been soaked a bit. (07/20/2010)

By Joycer

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 19, 2010 Flag

I use baking soda to clean stubborn, burnt on food on my Kitchen Aid smoothtop stove. It works beautifully. With lots of elbow grease and rinsing, it did the trick without losing the finish or scratching the top.

By Momonique from Burnaby, BC

Answers:

Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

I use a flatblade utility knife. Use at an angle, takes spills off super easy. (12/11/2009)

By Judiah1

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 9, 2009 Flag

I find it best to use baking soda on a smooth top stove. To clean burnt crust off, let baking soda stand a few minutes, and then wipe off with warm cloth.

By Sheila from Wisconsin

Answers:

Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

Zud is the cleaner for me! For 30 years it has served me well and it also keeps my stainless steel cookware like new. Two things to do is always clean your stove after it has cooled and never cook on a dirty stove. Clean it every time you use it. I also have a razor blade with a handle for taking the big stuff off first. Stains may appear from boiled over jam because of the sugar. (11/24/2008)

By Joycer

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 24, 2008 Flag

Tips and advice for cleaning a smooth top stove.

Answers:

Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

Thanks all for your replies. I have had my glass cook top for almost two months now, and I don't regret it for a minute! I love it! I very rarely have to use a razor. It's VERY easy to clean, although you have to give it a good cleaning every two days or so.

I took the advice from the people who told me to get Barkeeper's Friend, and it's a great product. I use it all the time, never have scratches, and it really works on the cooked on gunk.I just use it with water, and the rough side of a sponge in a circular motion. Then I just take a clean wet cloth and wipe everything off. A spray of windex at the end shines everything up nice. No problems using windex. This plan works like a charm. Thanks to all who responded!!
Ann (01/13/2007)

By Ann

Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

They sell a kit at lowe's that is the ceramic stove top cleaner and a razor blade. I was nervous about using the razor blade on the stovetop but the gentleman at lowe's had used it on his stove an assured me it was ok. It worked and didn't damage the top. I use it all of the time now. (12/26/2007)

By AnGoCo

Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

I think I have a different problem. Have a Bosch smooth top and have no problem cleaning. However, I have dark stains left behind around the circles and inner area as well. The crust and crud are gone and it is smooth - but this stuff I can't scrape up and any cleaner I use does not get this out. I'm very diligent about cleaning all the time but these stains won't go away. Thanks. (01/03/2008)

By jmunchkin AT verizon.net

Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

I have a Frigidaire smooth top stove and I hate it! But I found that one of the Mr. Clean "sponges" work very well for taking a lot of the dark stains and circles off. (01/14/2008)

By Laurie N.

Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

I also use vinegar. This seems to help and adds a great shine. Works great with the "magic" eraser sponge! Still hate my stove though! Am stuck with it also! (01/14/2008)

By Laurie N.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 8, 2007 Flag

I have a new smooth, black ceramic top stove. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to clean it, or a cheap cleanser to use that won't scratch the surface? It would be nice if there was something that I might have on hand at home? I have a store bought bottle, but it isn't cheap.

Ann from Ontario

Answers:

Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

I clean mine with Soft scrub. Works great!
(10/09/2006)

By Linda

Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

I use CERAMA BRYTE that I buy at Home Depot. It is made for glass top cooking stoves. Does a great job and easy to use. (10/09/2006)

By Dean

Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

I used baking soda works great. Make a paste, wipe it all over the glass top, let sit for a few minutes till hard then wipe off with warm cloth. (10/09/2006)

By SHEILA

Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

I have a smooth top stove also. I've had it for several years. The booklet that came with it tells me to get burned off food and other things such as grease to use a single edge razor blade. I put a liquid cleaner on it first just for the moister and use the razor blade. It is wonderful. Does not scratch top surface as this was recommended in my booklet.Then use the stove top cleaner on it to give it shine and helps to keep foods from sticking the next time.It is still as pretty as the day I bought it. Don't let foods stay on your burners and cook something else over it, because it can leave pits in your stove top that will never come out. I wouldn't buy anything other than a smooth cooktop burners. (10/09/2006)

By katy

Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

Mr Clean eraser, baking soda or Cameo cleanser. All work great! I use different ones depending on how much crud is on it. I don't buy the expensive stuff anymore. I have had mine for 4 years and it looks like the day I bought it.
Good luck :)

http://www.2ewenique.com (10/09/2006)

By

Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove

I use baking soda on mine and have for years. It looks like new. I also use a sample of laminate kitchen counter as my scraper instead of the razor blade scraper that was recommended in my book that came with the stove. (10/10/2006)

By Connie from Canada

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 8, 2006 Flag

Do you have a smooth top electric stove? I do and have found cleaning it aggravating with the commercial products out there (plus they are expensive).

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenSeptember 8, 2010
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Hand holding orange sponge cleaning glass stove top
Homemade Cleaner for Glass Top Stove
Smooth Stove Top
Cleaning Stains on a Smooth Stove Top
Glass Top Stove
Removing Burnt Food Stains on a Glass Top Stove
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 9:43:24 PM on 10.0.1.195 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.