Homemade Cleaner for Glass Top Stove

Category Appliances
Rather than buy a commercial product to clean your smooth top stove, make your own. This is a guide about homemade cleaner for glass top stove.

Does anyone know of a homemade cleaner for flat top (glass top) stoves?

By JC from Seattle, WA

Answers

My glasstop is about three years old and still looks great even though I do a lot of cooking; we don't buy anything special for it, though.

When the stovetop is off and the burners have all cooled down, we're in the habit of just dipping a sponge scrubber in clean, hot dishwater (we use Dawn detergent) and scrubbing/wiping, then giving it a squirt with glass cleaner (been using that plant-based, gentler Greenworks stuff) and a paper towel to finish it off.

Anonymous

I think you can use baking soda. It should clean well and not scratch the surface.

my new flat top is a whirlpool 7/16 and it look's like s--t. can you help!

Other than baking soda and vinegar, what inexpensive ideas would you have for cleaning a glass cook top stove?

By bevstoy from IL

Answers:

Homemade Cleaner for Glass Stove Top

I'd use a small amount of ammonia in water (about 1/10), then put in about 3 ounces of rubbing alcohol. Put this in a well marked spray bottle. It's like a cheaper version of Windex! (The alcohol makes it dry faster so there are less streaks.) (05/26/2009)

By Cyinda

Homemade Cleaner for Glass Stove Top

I use a flat razor blade on mine to take off the worst of the cooked on food. (05/26/2009)

By aprilwright

Homemade Cleaner for Glass Stove Top

I use oven cleaner for the burned on stuff. Spray it on and wipe it off after a couple of hours. (05/26/2009)

By lbrady

Homemade Cleaner for Glass Stove Top

A razor will take off the stuck-on food, and just about anything will "clean" it. The trick is in the tool. I use a Scotch Brite pad on mine. No, it doesn't scratch it. Have you seen the ads for the new stove-top cleaning "system?" Look at what's on the cleaning tool. But if you are looking for something cheap to remove those heat stains, I've used plain old Comet with the Scotch Brite pad. The only drawback is it takes a fair amount of rinsing to dry clear. (05/27/2009)

By Mary T

Homemade Cleaner for Glass Stove Top

Whiting, found in paint stores. Will not scratch glass. (05/27/2009)

By Cajun62234

Homemade Cleaner for Glass Stove Top

After food residue is removed, use a microfiber cloth and plain water to polish the surface. I have found these at the dollar store. I no longer use the stove top cleaning solutions. The microfiber cloth cleans fingerprints, small spills, etc. and no need to rinse or clean up after cleaning. The same cloth and water will remove fingerprints from microwave oven, stainless steel refrigerator, clean cabinet knobs, etc. My good friend gave me one and the first time I used it, I kept looking for more surfaces to polish. (05/30/2009)

By Dacula

Homemade Cleaner for Glass Stove Top

One of those "erasers" work very well on stubborn stuck on stuff. (05/30/2009)

By HalfWhit

What is the best cleaner (homemade if possible) to clean a glass cook top on an electric stove? Mine is less than three years old but has a couple of nasty looking places due to heat and contact with pans.

Debbie from AL

Answers:

Homemade Cleaner for Glass Stove Top

I don't know of a homemade cleaner, but I've used Bar Keeper's Friend for years and really like it. It does a great job. (11/24/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Homemade Cleaner for Glass Stove Top

I have read on other sites to use toothpaste (not gel). Everyone just raves about results. (11/25/2008)

By Acworth GA

Homemade Cleaner for Glass Stove Top

I use baking soda to clean my glass stove, if that does not work use bleach on it. Good luck. (01/25/2009)

By k w