Removing Burnt Food Stains on a Glass Top Stove

Category Appliances
While often easier to clean than traditional stoves, glass top stoves do have their own cleaning issues. This is a guide about removing burnt food stains on a glass top stove.

This is a guide about cleaning burnt sugar on a smooth top stove. Boiled over sugary foods can be difficult to clean off your smooth top stove.

Glass top stove covered in white powder

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a warning for anyone that has a glass ceramic cook stove. If you cook anything with a lot of sugar in it and it boils over onto your stove, get it off IMMEDIATELY or the food will eat into the glass top. This happened to me last Christmas when I boiled over fudge. I got most of it off, but before I could get it all off, it ruined the stove. It now has permanent marks on the top and the stove is not that old.

By laniegirl from IA

I have black marks on a glass stovetop. How do I remove them?

Answers

Best Answer

I scrape off the heavy stuff with a razor blade. I use Cerama Bryte to clean the glass cook top. It is sold at Home Depot and is a white creamy liquid that I use with a soft cloth. Does a great job removing all the cooking stains.

How do I clean the spillover of cranberry sauce on my new GE double oven 6 burner range top? It looks like a black residue that is now hard. I have used hot water, Soft Scrub, and vinegar. Can you recommend anything else? I would think oven cleaner is too harsh. It almost needs to be scraped off, but then you run the risk of scratches. Tell me a secret, please!

By Celeste

Answers

Try making a paste of powdered dishwasher detergent and water, and spread it on the spot(s). Cover with a damp rag to keep it moist. Leave overnight, then try scraping with a plastic spatula or old credit card. The plastic will not scratch, and the detergent should soften the black residue. I have a used up gift card that I keep to use just for scraping the stove, and any burnt pans, especially no stick ones. If you don't have a dishwasher, the el cheapo detergent from the dollar store works fine. This has worked for me. Hope it is helpful to you.

Apply the soft scrub and with an old credit card scrape it off. Works wonders.

Our new stove came with the product Ceramabryte to use with a yellow pad. It works great for me. Here is the website that explains all the products:

http://www.cera … mp;CategoryID=35

Heavy Duty Easy Off Oven Cleaner! Spray enough to cover the stove top and leave on for about 40 min! It works amazing! I spent 3 days with 8 different cleaners to try to get my stove clean and this was the absolute best! No scrubbing it just wiped right off!

I use lysol kitchen cleaner, it is the best for all needs, i spray on my stove for hard spots of all colors, no matter how long the stain is been on the stove, just spray let sit maybe a minute, i usually just end up spraying my counters down as i let it sit on my stove, then return with a clean wet cloth and wipe away. Usually no hard scrubbing involved. Hope this helps and good luck

I boiled water in a copper bottom sauce pan on a glass top stove and forgot about it. Now the sauce pan has gone totally grey at the bottom on the sides and the glass top has a white foggy spot.

Have I damaged the stove top beyond repair? Is it still safe to use? Also, is there any way of getting rid of the foggy white spot. The sauce pan will have to be tossed.

Any help is very much appreciated.

By Vicky from Calgary

Answers

Anonymous

I am sorry that I don't know about glass top ranges :-( Is the copper only on the outside of the sauce pan? If so, why in the world would you just throw it away? If it's because it doesn't look pretty anymore please donate it to the Goodwill or Salvation Army so that someone in need of a good pan can purchase it at a low price they can afford!

I use a product called Dawn Power Desolver. It is with the Easy Off oven products at Walmart and works pretty good. May take a couple of applications and some elbow grease but has always done the trick for me. I also have a scraper with a razor by my stove and use it lightly on a regular basis to help with the build up.

I melted a silicone hot pad on my glass stove top. The razor removed all but a film. Is there a way to remove if it bonded to the glass? I've used stove top cleaner/polisher, ammonia, alcohol, and nail polish remover.

By crispy from Barton, MS

Answers

WD40 then hot soapy water??

Hot chocolate milk boiled over on my electric glass top stove and made a thick stain. How do I remove the stain?

By Stanley

I left a tea kettle on my glass top range, forgot it and 2 hours later all the water was gone and the bottom of the kettle had burned onto the cooktop. The glass is not cracked or indented, but a black ring is left. I have used the cooktop cleaner and razor with little effect. Can anything take this ring off? ( I can see the dots under the ring).

Catherine

Answers:

Burned Glass Top Range

I used to have a glass-top range (I sure do miss it). For burnt-on food, I used a product called Range Kleen. Squirt it around the burnt area and leave it for a while. Wash it off with a nylon scrubber, then use a razor on whatever's left. It didn't work perfectly, there was still a little of the crud left, but it sure did look better. Hope that helps/

Camilla (01/16/2005)

By calnorth

Burned Glass Top Range

I use Bon Ami on everything with the help of a Mr. Clean sponge. (01/17/2005)

By johnsonya

Burned Glass Top Range

I have always used cork and lots of elbow grease with Bon Ami or the range top cleaner. Always seemed to work better than anything else. (01/17/2005)

By Billie

Burned Glass Top Range

Try using baking soda and vinegar mixed and let it sit on the black spot. Scrub with a sponge. Also you might try using white tooth paste. (01/17/2005)

By Akleensweep

Burned Glass Top Range

Some water with butter and milk in it boiled over onto my glass top stove and left something like what you are talking about. I tried the cleaner for the glass top first, but it didn't budge the black ring. When I scratched it hard with my finger nail, it would show signs that it would come off, but I was scared to use a razor blade for fear of scratching the surface.

I ended up leaving a wet cloth on top of the ring that had hot water, dish washing detergent, and even some "dishwasher" detergent in it. Every now and then, I would go by and scrub over the ring with the detergents and rag or a non-scratch coated sponge. After a few hours, it completely dissolved and the surface still looked like new. (11/27/2007)

By Pensacola, FL

Burned Glass Top Range

I just melted a sheet of plastic wrap on my glass top range the other night. The first response, I was very upset and frustrated with myself. I then had to take immediate action. I let the range top, cool down, then immediately applied, the cream cleaner, I let the cleaner dry on the melted sheet of plastic wrap; then I took a scraper and gently began scrapping of the plastic residue. I rinsed the area off with a damp sponge; and then reheated the range top once again; I let it cool down as I did previously; then again, I applied the range top cream cleaner. I let it dry once again and then finally, scraped off the remaining plastic wrap residue; along with sponging down the area with a damp sponge. The range top looks great. (01/08/2008)

By Rick

Burned Glass Top Range

When all else fails I have found a nifty way to clean the glass top range through experimentation. After removing the debris with a sharp scraper (a new razor's sharp edge) soak the stained area with liberal amount of toilet bowl cleaning solution (preferably in gel form, for example Clorox) for at least an hour or so. Then wipe off the area with a moist sponge or rag. You will be very pleased with the result. Be sure to wear a pair of good rubber glove on your hands for your protection. (01/08/2009)