Brush Lines and Streaks in Sateen Lustre Paint

I painted my kitchen walls, I used an oil-based paint to seal my walls (they are wall board). I used a gray primer which I was told to use by the man at my local Home Depot. I have painted 3 coats of Antique Red Behr Sateen Lustre.

I now have brush lines as well as streaks shiny and dull which makes the walls look zebra stripped. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem, or can I fix it! Please help.

Linda from Belton, MO

Was the red paint oil based also or was it water based? If it was water based and you painted over an oil base paint than you will have paint peeling and chipping off the wall. You can't paint water based over oil based paint.

You would have to go back with an oil based paint and paint over it but you still might have a problem because now you have a layer of water based paint between two oil based paints. I have been painting walls for a long time and I had that problem with the house in live in now. The previous owner paint a water base over an oil base and it is constantly chipping away. Good Luck I hope this has helped some.

My husband is a contractor and he uses a long handled sander available at Home Depot or Lowes. He sands lightly after EVERY coat that has been applied and dried completely. It takes very little effort to do this. You have to make the surface slightly pourous so it will take the next paint in well. It will remove any streaks and little mistakes...a wonderful idea!

Hey just painted my living room and hall same problem. Used several kinds of brushes and rollers and was streaked with gloss and the dull every motion used to paint the surface. You can see exactly how we painted it. I have emailed Behr. Every one I talk to says how did that happen or thats really weird. So I would contact the and who ever you bought the paint from. If the lights are dim you cant really see but in the light of day I am very disappointed.

The earlier poster who mentioned using a pole sander is right, between priming and every coat of paint you should sand the walls completely with a 220 grit or higher sandpaper. I'm surprised this isn't a more well known thing

Painting Tips and Tricks
Painting Tips and Tricks
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingNovember 14, 2007
Wooden hairbrush on a black background.
Cleaning Hairbrushes
Cleaning Hair from a Brush
Removing Hair from Brushes
Paint Brush Santa
Making a Paint Brush Santa
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet