Storing Your Paint Brush Between Painting

Category Painting
When you are involved in a painting project, you may need to take a break. It's important to store the paint filled brush properly so that you can come back to painting later. This is a guide about storing your paint brush between painting.

If you use paint in your crafting you may find that, in the middle of painting a project, you get called away from your project but you know you will be back shortly. Instead of rinsing out your paint brush, you can wrap it in a piece of plastic or a sandwich bag. Twist the plastic so it stays closed, keeping air from drying the paint on your brush.

Then when you get back to your project all you do is unwrap your brush and go back to work. I have stored paint brushes for a couple of days this way. As long as the plastic is sealed the paint will not dry out, ruining your brush.

By Arlene from Fort Myers, FL

Top Comment

I have done this, too. If it is water-based paint, I put it in the refridgerator. They seem to stay softer. But, as Arlene said, you need to keep the plastic tightly sealed! Happy painting! from Su from Ohio

If you have to stop in the middle of painting before the job is done, you don't have to wash the brush. Just stick the bristles into a sandwich bag, no need to seal, and pop it into the freezer until ready to paint again.

By Joy from Fairview Heights, IL

Top Comment

I think it would be better to clean the paintbrush rather than freezing it! The only problem is the time and hassle of running under water for what seems like hours or dipping in paint thinner/cleaner, flexing the bristles to get the cleaner into the root of the bristle and drying on paper tissues to absorb the dirty cleaning fluid.

Thankfully, I have found a quick method of cleaning a paintbrush, which should take less than five minutes. I simply place the brush in a device I found on www.stirtsystems.com called a Multi-Purpose Paint Roller, whose handle can also be used to fit brushes into an electric drill and spin at a high speed to eject the paint from the paint brush. You can dip it into cleaner/water and repeat several times in a few minutes, remember to place the brush in a cardboard box or old paint tin to catch the ejected paint first! The result is a clean, dry brush in minutes.

Top Comment

I have been freezing my paint brushes and rollers overnight for a long time. I use a plastic shopping bag. Dunno's method sounds like a lot more work!

Instead of washing out your paint brush every time, use a zippy bag, cut off a small bit of one of the bottom corners. Slip the handle of your paint brush through the hole. Pull it until the plastic fits snuggly around the handle. Then close the top and "voila!", airtight until you are ready to use it again.

This is not for long term storage of brushes (unless cleaned thoroughly first).

By Sheila M. from Olive Branch, MS

Top Comment

If you don't want to wash your paintbrush, & you are using acrylic paint, you can wrap your paintbrush in a blastic bag or plastic wrap & freeze. It thaws beautifully.

Top Comment

You can also put them in a ziploc bag, the whole brush and even paint rollers and put them in the freezer. I've kept them in there for several months. Thats if you have the room. Pattysue

To keep paint brushes moist between painting, put in a ziplock bag and put in the veg bin in your fridge. my mother does a lot of painting and gave me this useful tip.

By darlene from Carriere, MS

Put your paint brush in a plastic bag and place it in the refrigerator when you take a break. Make sure the plastic is completely sealed or your food could pick up some weird odors. This tip really saved me a lot of time when refinishing my wood floors with polyurethane. I had to wait several hours between coats. Cleaning the brushes and rollers would be a real time-consuming chore. The cold storage sure saved time.

By Elizabeth

Answers:

Storing Your Paint Brush Between Coats

This is a great idea and I have done this soooo many times myself! I've kept brushes in my fridge sometimes for a month wrapped tight in plastic and when they warm up, they are still ready to go! I also do this to roller naps when I have to stop painting for awhile. I wrap them tight in plastic and put them in the freezer.

Let them warm up and they are ready to roll. (pardon the pun).

If I can't finish a project at work the same day I will wrap my roller nap in plastic and tuck it away in a cool spot somewhere until the next day instead of using a new nap. I wash my brushes though because we all use the same brushes. (01/10/2006)

By sandra johnson

Storing Your Paint Brush Between Coats

Exactly what we were looking for! Thanks for the tip (04/15/2006)

By Holly

Storing Your Paint Brush Between Coats

I am concerned since my landlords are storing their paint brushes and rollers in fridge and freezer. They are not tightly sealed and there is even some paint in freezer now. Will this not contaminate the food? I know if painting where food is stored it has to be food quality paint. (09/11/2007)

By Rebecca