Homemade Potty Pad for House Training

I made a potty pad for house training out of a square of an old vinyl table cloth. I put it on the floor and put junk mail flyers or old school papers on it. The dog goes on it as well as the expensive pads. I just throw away the paper and wipe the vinyl down and it is good as new.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

WoooHoooo! Way to recycle! Kudos to you for using what you have that needs one more job to do before it gets thrown away!

Great idea!

I have been doing this for years and it works great for my Chihuahuas. At first they did not like the newspaper, so I put a layer of cheap paper towels on top of the newspapers. (I think it was the feel of the newspaper on their pads.) Little by little I used fewer paper towels, now it is just the newspapers on top of the tablecloth or old shower curtain.

Every week I wash the shower curtain with the towels or cleaning rags. A plastic shower curtain cut in two works well, so you always have a dry extra one.

Also you can get heavy duty plastic from furniture stores. Most have the plastic from the mattresses and box springs after they deliver them.

You are doing a great job! I tried something similar with my puppy, and at first was not having much luck. Then our neighbor said to leave ONE of the soiled pads out when you replace the new ones. It sounds gross, but she said when you clean it up really good and put fresh ones down, you clean off the 'scent' that puppies use to remind them where they are supposed to go. To us, it looks the same as yesterday, but they use scent instead of sight. When I did what she said, it still took a while, but cut way down on the different sites where he was peeing.

Sometimes though, some puppies after they grow up still think it's okay to go potty on any paper to include

books, magazines, newspapers, homework, etc.