Clipping Your Pet's Nails

For those of us who are afraid to use the nail clippers on our pets, I've discovered that using a Dremel sanding tool is quick and easy. The noise is minimal and you can sand both sides of the nail before aiming toward the quick. It's also chargeable so there's no cord to get in the way.

My old dog is almost 18 and he doesn't mind this nearly as much as the clippers. I can always sand just a little one week and the next head for more, if I feel brave.

using a dremel is an excellent idea and I have tried it in the past. Even though my dogs don't mind having their feet handled, they don't like their nails clipped. The problem with the dremel in my case is, I can't get my dogs to sit still long enough to sand the nails!!! Luckily for me, my dogs run a lot and their nails are almost always short just from walking and running.

Where can you get a 'dremel'?

Editor's Note: Dremel is a brand name for a small power tool. You can find them at any hardware or home improvement store. Just Google it and I'm sure there are many available online.

just be careful to not hold the grinder in one place for too long, the nail gets too hot and is painful for the dog

Excellent idea!

I just got this tip to use on my F-in-law's toe nails from the podiatist.

Never thought about the dog! Thanks for the brainstorm!

Jennifer CA

Does anyone have any great ideas like this for cats?

I have also used the Dremel tool for sanding my dogs' nails down. I got the idea from my vet years ago on a previous dog. Since I started these two with it as puppies, they both just lay there and let me do my thing. It's so much safer than clippiing. I really wish they'd even quit making and selling dog nail clippers.

Dremel tools can also be found in the Hand Power Tools section at Wal Mart, along with any hardware store. They are not expensive at all and last for years.

T Jackson, unfortunately I don't think they'll ever come up with anything like this that a cat would tolerate. Every cat I have had (including the one I have now) has their front claws removed. I use my own nail clippers and clip just a bit off the back nails just so I don't get scratched when he jumps off my lap, especially in summer when I'm in shorts. I normally will do one paw, then let him go and do the other one about an hour later, after he's forgiven me for the first one.

Trimming Your Dog's Nails, A person using dog nail trimmers.
Trimming Your Dog's Nails
Pets Dogs GroomingMarch 31, 2006
sore nails
Remedies for Nail Pain After Removing Acrylic Nails
Dog with Long Nails Getting them Trimmed
Helping a Dog with Long Nails
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails