Bathroom Stains

One of my toilet bowls (including the seat) and one of my bathroom sinks appear to be permanently stained. I've tried scrubbing and several different toilet bowl cleaners, but no luck. Please help. I am mortified that people will think that we don't clean our toilets! Thanks very much for your help.

By AnnahFM from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Try plain old baking soda mixed with a little water.

If the sink is porcelain, fill it with hot water, add lots of bleach and let it sit all day or overnight. Comet cleanser has bleach in it and is not as 'scratchy' as lots of cleansers. Use an old toothbrush and Comet to clean the area above the water line, rinse with the bleach water.

Pour lots of bleach in the toilet, use a toilet brush, then let the bleach sit in it over night. Next morning use the brush again, then flush. If it isn't clean and is still very bad, behind the toilet should be a shut-off valve. Turn it off, then flush. Once it is finished running, flush again. There should now be no water in the toilet. Put on heavy rubber gloves, scrub with Comet. If there are calcium deposits in there, scrape them off with a razor blade, being careful not to scratch the porcelain.

When porcelain gets old, it gets porous, so it will probably stain again. Toilet seats are pretty cheap and easy to change.

The bowl can be cleaned without the need for a great deal of scrubbing by using "the real thing" that is right, the brown foamy drink! Pour in let stand as long as possible and then scrub before flushing! It is a bit scary to think what it may do to your innards!

Try placing several denture cleaning tablets (the cheaper, the better) into the toilet bowl and allow them to remain overnight. Plug the sink, fill with water and place a few tabs in there also. Allow solution to set for several hours before scrubbing. I hope that this helps. It worked well for me, it doesn't harm the environment and is a cheaper method than a lot of commercially sold cleaners.

OK, here comes a product plug. I have very hard water and this problem is solved by using "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. I use it about every three days, scrub, let soak and the stains are gone.

Find some SNO BOWL - I get it at a store called Family Dollar - Walmart used to sell it but they don't anymore - if it's rust you have on there it will almost disappear by itself with little effort. Let me know if it works for you

Hi. I've been cleaning homes for over 25 years. I can tell you that the best thing to use for cleaning toilets is 'The Works'. This stuff is really amazing! We get a lot of brown stains in our toilets because our water has a lot of iron in it. One squirt of this stuff, and it just disappears. You can find it at the Dollar stores. Be sure to get the kind for toilets, as there are several kinds. And it's only $1.00!

April 14, 2009 Flag

I need help removing stains from baths and toilets. The bath has stains near the taps, and the toilet has what looks like rust marks on the bottom.

Mel from SA

Bathroom Stains

Try bar keeper's friend. I get mine at the supermarket in the aisle where you'll find comet. They also have a website;

Note: After making the paste, use a toothbrush to apply. Let it sit for a while on rust and stains. At least twenty minute before you check. I'm sure you'll be happy to try Bar keeper's friend. It works on many surfaces: plastic, porcelain, brass, stainless steel. Check out this product, you'll love it. (12/05/2006)

By jjager

Bathroom Stains

I found that using white vinegar and a scouring pad shifts the dirt-soap deposits, the so-called "ring around the bath" wonderfully, better than any name brand bathroom cleaner. (01/08/2007)

By Richard South Australia

Bathroom Stains will do the job. (08/06/2007)

By Jim

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomApril 14, 2009
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors, Reflection in a mirror of boy drying his hair with a blow dryer.
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub