Cornmeal For Ants

By lorig 1

Has anyone ever heard of cornmeal killing ants?

Lorig from Tucson, AZ

Filter Sort

By Lorraine 20 96 Flag

I never heard of that. Cornmeal? What an inexpensive solution. I'll be sure to try that. I have black ants and those pesky little 'sugar' ants. Thank you for sharing those ideas.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Heather Krucker 10 282 Flag

I've not tried cornmeal, but I have used cornstarch and it worked.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Patricia Hamm 4 153 Flag

You can also boil 1 cup of water and 1/4 cup of sugar until sugar is melted. Then add 1/4 cup of Borax and stir until it is dissolved. Put this in old jar lids and place where ants can find it. They will love it and the Borax will kill them and then the other ants will eat those carcasses and so on and so on until the queen is gone. This is NOT something you want kids and pets to find so place it where it will be safe.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By elva 1 79 Flag

no, I never heard of cornmeal, but I have heard of instant grits, I put out some instant grits on the ant pile, the ants was still there 2 days later, and a bigger pile! I re applied the instant grits, and was standing in the window watching it, There was birds out there eating the instant grits! So, I told my mother about it and she gave me some fire ant killer, 2 days later all the ant pile was gone. Dee

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Bess 16 Flag

I haven't heard of using cornmeal but of using talcum/baby powder. I used it on outside ants (not fire ants) - sprinkled on the mound and it did work.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sharon 5 5 Flag

I've used Borax in cubbards and Red ground pepper sprinkled around the base board of the kitchn cubbards.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Scooter 11 Flag

Grits work for me. I put them in my kitchen cupboard, and the ants leave. I had problems for years until I started doing this. It also worked under the sink in the bathroom. Ants were crawling up on the countertop and crawling up my toothbrush to get at the sweet toothpaste taste. YUK!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Dorothy 3 Flag

Yes, I use it and it works very well and is safe in the house or outside and the rain does not hinder. They can't digest it is my understanding and they take the little pieces home to the nest to feed all. Try it!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Diana 1 Flag

I bought a box of cornmeal yesterday and sprinkled it around the ant hills this morning. Time will tell if it will work for me. I hope so.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Vi Johnson 286 801 Flag

Wipe down the area with paper towels soaked in white vinegar. Clean up the dead ants and wipe it down again with clean paper towels and the vinegar. After it drys, pour a little dry corn meal along the area where they are coming in. I had ants coming from under the carpet where the entry tile is. It took a very short time for it to work. Haven't seen them since. Knock on wood. GG Vi

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Cornmeal For Ants

To get rid of any kind of ants use cornmeal, regular cornmeal. Place on the ant mound or in a lid in their path and within a week there will be no more ants.

Source: Passed down from my grandmother.

By Vickie from Zebulon, NC

Answers:

RE: Cornmeal For Ants

I had a problem with ants this Summer and the cornmeal really does work. Also to keep ants out of the cat food, I placed a small bowl of food inside a larger bowl of water to create a kind of "moat". I guess ants don't like water and kitty's food remained ant-free. (10/20/2008)

By Joankay

RE: Cornmeal For Ants

I tried cornmeal this summer and some ants died close to where they ate the cornmeal, but the problem continued until I finally found an affordable exterminator. (11/02/2008)

By Victoria

Archive: Cornmeal For Ants

Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it "home" and can't digest it, so it kills them. It may take a week or so (especially if it rains) but it works and you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!

By Kim from Kansas

Feedback:

RE: Cornmeal For Ants

Great idea. My problem is that they are crawling in my kitchen and bathroom. I've washed dishes, and felt something crawling on my foot and realized it was an ant. They are bothersome, annoying and they bite- and the buggers are small at that. How can I spread the cornmeal inside the home without making a mess? Thank you. (08/31/2007)

By janell

RE: Cornmeal For Ants

Perhaps you could place a jar lid inside your cupboards where they could reach it. The upper and lower cupboard shelves would be a good place. A small lid on you kitchen window sill might help if they are coming in that way. (09/02/2007)

By MartyD

Home and Garden Pest Control AntsMarch 16, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
spoonful of sugar
Can You Use Sugar Contaminated By Ants?
Cornmeal
Hot Cornmeal Cereal Recipes
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:35:42 PM on 10.0.2.127 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings