AntsPest Control

Cornmeal For Ants

Category Ants

Has anyone ever heard of cornmeal killing ants?

Lorig from Tucson, AZ

I never heard of that. Cornmeal? What an inexpensive solution. I'll be sure to try that. I have black ants and those pesky little 'sugar' ants. Thank you for sharing those ideas.

I've not tried cornmeal, but I have used cornstarch and it worked.

You can also boil 1 cup of water and 1/4 cup of sugar until sugar is melted. Then add 1/4 cup of Borax and stir until it is dissolved. Put this in old jar lids and place where ants can find it. They will love it and the Borax will kill them and then the other ants will eat those carcasses and so on and so on until the queen is gone. This is NOT something you want kids and pets to find so place it where it will be safe.

no, I never heard of cornmeal, but I have heard of instant grits, I put out some instant grits on the ant pile, the ants was still there 2 days later, and a bigger pile! I re applied the instant grits, and was standing in the window watching it, There was birds out there eating the instant grits! So, I told my mother about it and she gave me some fire ant killer, 2 days later all the ant pile was gone. Dee

I haven't heard of using cornmeal but of using talcum/baby powder. I used it on outside ants (not fire ants) - sprinkled on the mound and it did work.

I've used Borax in cubbards and Red ground pepper sprinkled around the base board of the kitchn cubbards.

Grits work for me. I put them in my kitchen cupboard, and the ants leave. I had problems for years until I started doing this. It also worked under the sink in the bathroom. Ants were crawling up on the countertop and crawling up my toothbrush to get at the sweet toothpaste taste. YUK!

Yes, I use it and it works very well and is safe in the house or outside and the rain does not hinder. They can't digest it is my understanding and they take the little pieces home to the nest to feed all. Try it!

I bought a box of cornmeal yesterday and sprinkled it around the ant hills this morning. Time will tell if it will work for me. I hope so.

Wipe down the area with paper towels soaked in white vinegar. Clean up the dead ants and wipe it down again with clean paper towels and the vinegar. After it drys, pour a little dry corn meal along the area where they are coming in. I had ants coming from under the carpet where the entry tile is. It took a very short time for it to work. Haven't seen them since. Knock on wood. GG Vi

To get rid of any kind of ants use cornmeal, regular cornmeal. Place on the ant mound or in a lid in their path and within a week there will be no more ants.

Source: Passed down from my grandmother.

By Vickie from Zebulon, NC

Answers:

Cornmeal For Ants

I had a problem with ants this Summer and the cornmeal really does work. Also to keep ants out of the cat food, I placed a small bowl of food inside a larger bowl of water to create a kind of "moat". I guess ants don't like water and kitty's food remained ant-free. (10/20/2008)

By Joankay

Cornmeal For Ants

I tried cornmeal this summer and some ants died close to where they ate the cornmeal, but the problem continued until I finally found an affordable exterminator. (11/02/2008)

By Victoria

Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it "home" and can't digest it, so it kills them. It may take a week or so (especially if it rains) but it works and you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!

By Kim from Kansas

Answers:

Cornmeal For Ants

Great idea. My problem is that they are crawling in my kitchen and bathroom. I've washed dishes, and felt something crawling on my foot and realized it was an ant. They are bothersome, annoying and they bite- and the buggers are small at that. How can I spread the cornmeal inside the home without making a mess? Thank you. (08/31/2007)

By janell

Cornmeal For Ants

Perhaps you could place a jar lid inside your cupboards where they could reach it. The upper and lower cupboard shelves would be a good place. A small lid on you kitchen window sill might help if they are coming in that way. (09/02/2007)

By MartyD