Deciding on a Child's Bedtime

What time should a 9 year old be in bed?

Bert from Ocala, FL

In my never-to-be-humble opinion, I would say it depends in part on what time the child needs to get up in the morning and how he/she does through the day. With my 3 boys, it varied from about 8 until 9:30 and we did that every night, school or not since (again, in my opinion) children need a regular time for things and do better with a schedule that can be altered as needed for special times. I tried to allow them about 10 hours in bed at that age. One son required all 10, another didn't seem overly tired at the set bedtime, the third was allowed to stay up later because he would just lie in bed and stare because he wasn't sleepy. He was allowed to read or work on puzzles until a later set time. No TV, no rowdy games, just quiet activities. I know, TMI but I do tend to ramble...

No later than 8:PM max on school days. On weekends, 9 or 10 is okay. You could add on an extra 15 min to half an hour for each year they get older as a special birthday gift.

Sheesh! My mom put me & my sister in bed at 7:30 every school night until I was in my teens! She SAID I "required lots of sleep", but now that I've raised up my kids, I think she just need a bit of peace & quiet!

My 9 year old goes to bed at 8pm and can read until 8:30, then its lights out. Fri. night she can stay up until 11.

I think between 8 and 9. But before they watch that last hour of TV or whatever they do I would have them in jammies and make sure teeth and brushed etc.

The time suggestions are great - between 8-9:30 PM. I'd suggest one more thing, though: make sure there's a pre-bedtime trip to the bathroom. That way, there are no excuses to get up again.

I agree with the poster who said it depends on what time they have to get up. I personallly think that putting children to bed when they are not tired or ready to fall asleep is a terrible waste of everyone's time. Kids of that age need about 10 hours of sleep -- but you have to adjust that according to your kid. I also think that you have to establish a nice bedtime ritual that everyone enjoys. My guys had a bath and then I read to them. The reading continued with my youngest until he was 12 years old. He loved to be read to aloud, and it was a nice bonding time for us.

Because all 3 boys liked the stories and liked playing in the tub, there were never any fights or howling or carrying on about bedtime.

Parenting Grade Schooler AdviceDecember 31, 2008
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
A woman looking in her refrigerator at night.
Eating Before Bedtime
Husband and Wife holding a baby
Adopting a Child