Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Old English Scratch Remover Stains on Hardwood Floors

I recently had my wooden floors sanded, stained and polyeurethaned. They did a great job. The problem? I was using Old English Scratch Remover (which is essentially stain) on a couch. I didn't realize at the time that I had unfortunately spilled a few drops (at least 10 to 15) on my newly done wooden floors! Any tips on how I could remove the stains?

Yanet from San Antonio, TX

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Sharon (Guest Post)11/23/2006

I can't imagine that paint thinner or mineral spirits would affect the polyurethane. I am talking about paint thinner, not paint remover...I am VERY surprised, the Old English penetrated the polyurethane! I would think it would just sit on top the polyurethane! Poly is a very tough coating...BUT...IF it has penetrated it, I doubt that you will be able to remove the stain...Why not try the paint thinner, in an inconspicuous place?...

By Yanet (Guest Post)11/22/2006

Won't paint thinner affect the polyeurethane? I tried "Goof off" yesterday, and it didn't even make a dent!

By Sharon (Guest Post)11/22/2006

I can't imagine that the Old English, penetrated the polyurethane! Try removing it with mineral spirits or paint thinner...

By Cindy [6]11/20/2006

I use Old English scratch remover to touch up my furniture every once in a awhile and all I can say is--Don't worry- it wears off!!! It does stain on fabric though.