Converting Garage into a Teenager's Room

Does anyone have ideas for converting a garage into a room for a teenager? I know absolutely nothing about these things. The floor is cement, of course, and I'd also have to put up a wall or sealant of some sort around/in front of, the garage door.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
-Donna

We used two patio doors to close in the former garage door opening and it makes a nice sunny room. We used self stick vinal flooring to cover the cement.

I suggest putting a kind of "riser" on the floor, b/c in the winter they will be like ice. Visquine(SP??) would be quick & easy for the garage door, and why not just get a light-colored fabric to drape down in front of the new "wall"? Might not be a bad idea to likewise cover the other walls, as well.

We used ceramic tile on our cement floor. It's actually very cost efficient to do if you lay it yourself. We had never done it before, but managed to do 6 rooms (1300 sq. ft.) in less than a week. Home Depot and places like that will instruct you on how to do it. The look and durability is great. In cooler weather, just use a throw rug!

I have just spent the last week converting my garage into a home office network building. It took a long and hard process, but the outcome is superb! I'll bebrief with my words on how i did it -

Floor - Underlay insulation then carpet.

walls - supportive fram made of 2x2 then covered with plasterboard (9.5mm). This includes the garage door.

Roof - The current beams were taken down and replaced with new ones using 2x3. THe roof was then covered with plasterboard again with a lining of insualtion ( fibre glass, polystyrene. I used fibre glass ) on the top of the plasterboard. A large hole was left in the middle of the room to allow access for storage etc, i covered this with a hinge door that folds down to a ladder outcome.

Windows - I didn't want to lose any heat through the single glazed current windows installd so i simply just boarded them up with a layer of fibre glass in the centre - I wasn't too bothered about losing the natural light, but u may be so look into that.

My conversion was for a totally different reason for what u want. Although, the warmth in my garage now is more than enough, and i only use one fan heater.

Hope you get it all sorted out in the future! Good luck!

Stephen Haw

Im doing this right now.

Im only 15 and its not going to take to much building work as its just a chill out room.

Im just going to lay carpet down, Get a sofa, and put posters up.

Could be great :)

How about asking your teenager their ideas?

I just finished a brick garage to a family room...we knocked every other brick out along the edges of the garage door openings and finished it off with two nice windows....awesome!

I am thinking about converting the third car garage into a rec room. How much it would cost and how long it would take? Will it add value to the house than keeping it as a 3rd car garage?

A garage viewed from the outside.
Converting a Garage Into Living Space
A baby stroller being used as a dog stroller.
Converting a Baby Stroller Into a Pet Stroller
Teens Eating Pizza
Saving Money on Feeding Teens
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
garage sale
Preparing for a Garage Sale
🎄