Summer Fun Box

School is almost out! A great surprise gift idea for elementary-aged children, grandchildren, or nieces and nephews is a 'Summer of Fun' surprise package. Try to think of all the things you loved as a child. Your grandchild, child or niece/nephew will probably have a little of you in them. I did this last summer and my granddaughter was absolutely delighted!

Fill the box with the following:

• Bubbles
  • Slinky
  • Silly Putty
  • Jacks
  • Ping pong paddle
  • Sidewalk chalk
  • Bubble bath (preferably in a character bottle) for bedtime clean up
  • Small plastic boat for the tub
  • Packages of Kool-Aid
  • Water guns
  • Jump rope

This gift will not cost you tons (you can get a lot of the things at your local dollar store), but a surprise (for no reason) summer fun box, will bring hours of delight to the young ones. :)

Have fun!

By Gooby from Straughn, IN

Really nice idea. Little gifts like the ones you've listed say "Somebody loves you" much louder than words.

Another fun item to include would be supplies for finger painting. Someone told me a long time ago that adding tempera paint to liquid starch would make finger paint. Anyone have another "recipe?" I'm thinking butcher paper is similar to the paper we used when I was a kid. Clay would also be fun.

Great idea, and it would also work for a Spring birthday. You could probably add sidewalk chalk to that list for playing hopscotch (remember that one?) And do they still sell hula hoops? Ah, the nostalgia...

thanks so much for posting this. My 4 1/2 yr old twin grands are coming for a visit for a week next month and this idea will make Grammy look great!

I loved most of that stuff as a kid too. XD And especially if you complement it with time spent...teaching them hopscotch or other's an awesome gift!

People playing on the beach at sunset.
Saving Money on Summer Fun
Parenting Summer FunMay 24, 2010
Growing Summer Blooming Bulbs
Cigars in a Box
Making a Cigar Box Guitar
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
A trunk for putting congratulations card into at a wedding.
Making a Card Box for Your Wedding