Painting a Ceiling Dark

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put dark red paint on a ceiling. The room is 15' X 13' with 10' ceilings with T-1-11 natural wood 4 feet up with a chair rail that will be stained. It will be like a bar setting with a poker table a small bar and a computer desk.

Angel from Sebring, Ohio

This is just red paint advice--ceiling or wall. I just painted a huge wall red, and I had to do three coats plus the primer. I seriously thought one would be okay. But you could still see the primer through it. If you don't prime it a grey color, the white ceiling may make your color a little lighter, pinkinsh maybe. I'd investigate a little more, maybe talk to the paint people at The Home Depot, but my experience was a lot of hard, three layered work. (Worth it though, red is a great color.) Btw, red will make the ceiling seem closed in. Maybe the effect you want?

I agree with the person above.. I painted my front door red. It had been white. I've given it 3 coats of paint and it still looks pink.. or fushia.. Best of luck.

Hi Angel

Your Idea for a red ceiling sounds great to me. Especially for a fun for as described. I'm one to try different colors and where its placed. My husband and Kids always think my ideas are very different but when they see the finished product they always love the look. Go for it is my motto. When you pick out a paint color always ask them to mix a primer the same color this will eliminate the prior color coming through.

Have fun with it.

Arlene from Napa CA

I think it sounds great! If you have a sheet in about the same color, tack it up on the ceiling to give you a preview of what it might look like. Let us know how it turns out. I agree with talking to the paint department - it does take a lot of coats for red.

Thanks guys!!!! I really am digging all the advice,

keep it comming cause I am scared of of color,I've never done color before we also have 2 bathrooms to do and it is still up in the air about those two.

Thanks alot! This is a pic of the bathroom that has yet to be put back together,YUCK!

Just painted our living room dark red. We went to Sherwin Williams they sold us a grey primer. That and two coats of red and the room is incredible. I highly recomend going to the pro's and getting good paint and advice,the savings in time and effort is well worth it. I think it would really help if the wood was either a light color or a reddish hue. Good luck.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceFebruary 6, 2006
Photo of a ceiling fan.
Cleaning a Ceiling Fan
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Asbestos Ceiling
Painting Over an Asbestos Ceiling
Ceiling Fan
Repairing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan