Painting Over an Asbestos Ceiling

Category Painting
If your ceiling is undamaged, you might be able to encapsulate the asbestos by painting. This is a guide about painting over an asbestos ceiling.

I recently painted my asbestos ceiling with silver paint (usually used for aluminum). The result was a patchy multi toned deep silver coloured ceiling that made my room look dark. I'd like to paint it over with an emulsion gloss. Do I need to sandpaper it or use a primer first?

Pam in Malaysia

Answers

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Don't sand it! That is one of the worst things you can do. And don't tear it down. The more you paint it the better. That way you seal the asbestos particles in. Nell

If it really is asbestos, DON'T SAND IT!!! That will release asbestos particles into the air and you will breathe it in. The best thing would be to just paint over what you already have and further contain the asbestos.

By Pam (Guest Post)

Thanks heaps for your prompt replies as well as saving my life! Actually painted over the silver celiling with a gloss emulsion paint.

Needed a couple of coats, but it worked and the paint is even :)