Determining If a Popcorn Ceiling Has Asbestos

Category Home Safety
In the 50s and 60s popcorn ceilings were typical in many homes and often contained asbestos to help insulate, sound proof, and because it is resistant to fire. This guide is about determining if a popcorn ceiling has asbestos.

I have a 1991 Goldenwest manufactured home with popcorn ceilings. I wonder who knows if there would be asbestos in my ceilings. I have heard they stopped using asbestos after the 1980s, but I want to know for sure.

By Darlene

Answers

I doubt there is any asbestos in your ceiling. However,if you want to be absolutely sure the only way is to have the your ceiling tested by an asbestos abatement company. They can be found in the yellow pages under asbestos abatement service. I had may linoleum floor tested when I removed it. Cost was $300.

I dont think your ceiling has asbestos in it. It doesnt really matter anyway because asbestos is only a problem when you mess with it or if it is crumbling. Popcorn ceilings are hard and expensive to remove from what I've heard.

They are only dangerous if you would try to sand them off. If you wet it with a sprayer and water and let it soak, it will come right off.

Be prepared for the biggest mess you can imagine. Have to have everything covered and tarps everywhere. I would not recommend doing it with furniture in the room.