Drilling Glass Blocks

What do I need to cut a hole in glass (bottle, blocks)? I want to put lights in them and use them for decoration. Can anyone tell me the tools that I would need for this? Or if there is a web site that I could go to for help. Thanks.

By Karen from Reynoldsville, PA

My daughter and I are currently working on these. Get a 1/2" glass drill bit, they are shaped like an arrowhead at the tip. When drilling, drill slow and try to keep the drill bit wet so it doesn't get too hot.

A drill press works best to hold the block still while drilling but we had a friend drill ours. Make sure you rinse the glass bits out right away after drilling, let dry overnight, fill with 50 count or less lights & decorate.

fill with 50 count lights or less & decorate.

I drill a lot of glass blocks and glass bottles, but I changed from the old carbide glass drill bits to a diamond drill bit. Since then, I have never broken any glass.

A good diamond drill bit makes a huge difference.

Get a diamond hole drill bit - sorta looks like a thimble. Use 3/4" as it is much easier to put the lights in. I use a drill press with the speed set around 1100 RPM (my press allows you to easily move the drive belt to raise/lower speed) Use a spray bottle with water only to keep the bit cool, and bear down with light to medium pressure. This process takes less than 30 seconds per block.

These hole drills create a smooth hole that will not cut your fingers. I then vigorously shake the block to knock off the glass edges of the glass piece that is inside the block. I then fill half-way with water, plug the hole and shake vigorously, then pour out. This brings out all glass bits and usually the glass plug - though who cares if it remains inside? You can't see it nor does it harm anything. I set it aside to drain/dry and the block is clean.

As to the lights - I use 50 or 70 lights, whatever is cheapest, with white cords. Cut off the end plug and tape the ends with scotch tape or white tape. It won't short out, and can't harm anyone/anything inside the glass block. I drill these blocks a case at a time, and I'm done with everything, including rinsing, in 15 minutes total.

Drilling Holes in Glass
Drilling Holes in Glass
Crafts Glass ArtAugust 31, 2010
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
clear and one red glass blocks
Buying Glass Blocks for Crafting
Glass Block
Crafts Using Glass Blocks