HealthDogs

Identifying and Treating a Dog's Irritated Skin

One of my dogs has a skin irritation. How do I treat it?

By Dane from Mizoram, India

You may find that the dog is allergic to flea saliva. I kid you not. I started laughing when the vet told me that. Not sure what antihistamines a dog can take but a vet can tell you. Our dogs wore flea collars, got treated with the drops, etc., but still they laid on their backs on a gravel driveway and wiggled till the hair was thin.

I think you should take your dog to the vet for skin tests to be done. It could be food, shampoos, household cleaners, or any number of things.

There are anti-itch relieving shampoos with oatmeal that work well to soothe the irritated skin, but it may not be ALL that you need to bring total comfort for your pet.