House TrainingDogs

Housebreaking a Dog Again

My dog pooped in a bedroom, then did it again the next day. We made a point of keeping the door to that room closed. He figured out that too because then he did it right outside the door to that same bedroom.

He gets walked a lot, but for some reason he now thinks this is a bathroom. The floor has been cleaned with several deodorizing cleansers. How do we teach him to not go in the hallway to this room?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Myself I crate trained my beagle. She was taken out often to go outdoors, but while inside and alone, she was crated. It was very easy to train her in this manner. You too can teach your "old dog" a new trick. Start the crate training all over again. The dog will make sure not to soil the crate and will wait to be let out to do its business. In a very short time, she will be back to normal and doing her business outdoors.

There must be a reason that he started going in the house if he was already housebroken. I would take him to your vet to make sure that there isn't a medical reason for this new behavior.

I wonder if the dog might be having a "behavior" due to something changing in the house, a new person, less time with owner. Maybe go back to the crate training and rewarding them with a treat when they poop outside..