AlterationsClothing

Altering the Neckline on a Pajama Top

How do I make a too large neckline smaller, without taking all the seams out? I just want to keep it from falling off my very narrow shoulders, it is a PJ top made of jersey knit. I am an elderly beginner. Thanks.

By Barbswire13 from AR

What you do depends on what kind of neckline the top has. If it has a boat type, you sew the shoulder seams in toward your neck after marking with safety pins how much of an opening you need to pull it over your head. I would hand sew it with a running or back stitch. If it has a crew, round or vee neckline, make two darts in the back of the neckline, again pinning with safety pins to make sure you can pull it over your head. Hand sew with a running stitch. Hope this helps.