Attending Morning or Afternoon Kindergarten

When given a choice, you want to make sure that your child attends school at the best time for them and their parents. This guide is about attending morning or afternoon kindergarten.

This isn't a thrifty questions but I could use some insight. My son will be in Kindergarten this fall and I can't decide between morning and afternoon class. I would love your thoughts and reasons behind your advice.

By Mindy

Answers

What is the sleep schedule of your family? If everyone is up early including the young man, take him to morning if and only if he will have had time to eat breakfast etc.

If you are rushing other children off to school, maybe it's too hectic. Afternoon kind of bites into your day if you are a stay at home mom, but there's time for him to sleep all he needs, have a good meal and be wide awake. That said, does he need a nap to be social?

I'd base it first on sleep, second on time to get ready, and which one gives the two of you some nice bonding time.

Good answer Pikka. I think it does depend on the child, one who sleeps in does better in the afternoon, one who is up early may be perfect for a morning session. I found that afternoon was great, it gave us a relaxing morning. Sometimes we would invite a friend over to play and have lunch before school, too. By the end of the day, mine were tired and went to bed easier, too. In terms of getting things done, I found the afternoon was good as stores are all open then and I could drop them and do my errands.

I kinda disagree with the others about taking into account for his schedule in that if he will be going to a usual school for first grade (the next year) he would not have a choice and this might be a good opportunity to "train" him for big school (and yoursef) when the pressure is not on and you can let it slide some mornings on getting him there on time. if you plan to home school then it would not be such and issue because you could start when you wanted.

As a former teacher, I think teachers are fresher in the a.m. & a.m. classes might be better.