Ball Point Pen Marks on Imitation Leather (vinyl?)

I have recently started cleaning a doctors office which has ink marks on the examining tables. I have tried alcohol, Simple Green, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and cannot seem to find anything to remove the marks. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks!

Sheila from MI

Anonymous
Best Answer

I clean banks and doctor's offices also. I have used anti-bacterial hand gel with great success. Rub it into the ink and go do something else leave on the ink for about 5-10min. rub off with soft cloth or whatever cleaner you normally use. I've also removed permanent marker from countertops with it, adhesives, and chewing gum from a carpet. It will also remove black shoe marks from tile floors, and scuff marks from walls. I now keep a bottle with me at all times and when you're done cleaning you can use it on your hands.

Anonymous

Used sparingly, hairspray took the color off my textured vinyl l handbag. I do not recommend it.

I tried it and it took the color off of my pocket book and didn't remove the ink.

Anonymous

THANKS, THIS WORKED ON MY PINK VINYL SEATS.

Anonymous

Yes thank you!!! Ink gel on my new bar stools and I tried it all. When I saw this post hand sanitizer worked!!

Thank you so much. A new pale blue pleather jacket and ball point pen ink on the front. I used antibacterial gel two times on the jacket and the dark ink is almost one.

One more application of 10 min and it will be gone. My hand sanitizer had small blue balls in the gel, but it worked fine. Wish I could attach the picture of how the ink came out.

By Charlette. (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hairspray works well to remove ink from imitation leather ( in my case a purse). You have to spray and wipe several times, but it will eventually come off.

Hairspray ruined my bag, it removed the leather and left the biro stain

Did it take the color off? My purse is pink and it rubbed some pink off so I stopped

By Kian (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Let me save you all the trouble. If ink is on leather more than three days-it's indelible! That means that it's not coming off. You best chance is to remove it with an alcohol based product within the three days. Try using something like simple green first to remove the ink that has not penetrated the substrate then follow with the alcohol.

There is no magical solution in hairspray that removes ink other that the alcohol content. Just skip the hairspray part and use straight alcohol and you won't smell like Aquanet! If you cannot remove the ink look for a suitable vinyl dye like ColorBond.

I tried everything I could think of and all the answers that were suggested and nothing worked. As a last resort I tried Mould & Mildew remover soaked on a paper kitchen towel and laid over the stain. Slowly the ink started to vanish and after a couple of hours....voila.....all the stain was gone. It's the remover in the green plastic bottle (Astonish) and only costs £1 in the pound shop.

By Barbie (Guest Post)

WD-40 should remove the pen marks then wash with soap and water to remove WD-40

maybe Goo Gone?

Sheila, have you tried hair spray? Bonnie

By Gueat (Guest Post)

Try Baking soda. Dip a barely damp rag into the baking soda, and gently rub the spot. Rinse with a clean damp rag.

This did not work on my white vinyl bar stool but the nail polish remover did!

By Susan (Guest Post)

The hairspray did it! I sprayed to cover the pen marks and then rubbed gently to take them all out.

I rinsed with a clean rag and it looks great!

By betty (Guest Post)

My son drew on a bar chair with blue pen, and I tried nearly everything, but hairspray works the best

By Tory (Guest Post)

My sister in law is opening a hair salon and he little brother scribbled on her vinyl chair with a ball point pen!(purple pen on a cream colored chair!) Magic Erasers,cleanser,Goo Gone,Goop,Goof Off,baking soda,peroxide,alcohol...so far nothing works but the hairspray,but it isn't as easy as it sounds!! You still need to scrub and scrub!!!!

By AA (Guest Post)

The Purell worked fairly well on a vinyl chair. Its not completely gone, but it is not glaring at you either! Thanks!

By james the cover maker. (Guest Post)

I just Got PERMANENT MARKER on a £25,000 rigid hull inflatable. the hairspray worked, and I have a boatyard of impressed people.

Thank you for saving me.

By Johann M (Guest Post)

The hairspray did the work - tried almost everything else. Ereased it compleatly

By Cynthia (Guest Post)

Have you tried a baby wipe? We had ball point pen marks on an electronic drum kit (the drum pads) and a baby wipe took it right off with not too much scrubbing.

I was freaking out when I saw my tan couch with ballpoint pen on it from my 2 year old son. I Googled a remedy and this site pulled up! I used hairspray and it worked! Thanks to everyone! My couch is Bonded Leather, Half Vinyl and half leather.

Let me help and save you. We have a beautiful white faux leather sofa. My friend wrote on it, 2 weeks ago. Used magic eraser... don't do it! It just scratches off the surface.

By the second accident (my baby) I used hand sanitize gel. Works! Eventually the alcohol works. Just put a smaller amount, and it will start to solve off the ink. Gently rub it, do it 2-3 times, and it is perfectly gone.