Beef and Mushroom Casserole
Silver Post Medal for All Time! 254 Posts
November 30, 2020
Looking for a comforting casserole? This noodle casserole is a delicious mixture of mushrooms and beef. I got this recipe from my dear friend, Harold. It is a basic recipe and can be adjusted to your tastes.
- 1 onion
- 1 king oyster (Use shitake or button mushrooms for more mushroom flavor)
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 - 1 lb beef (use more if you want it more meaty)
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 3.5 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Johnny's seasoning salt
- 12 oz egg noodles
- 1 cup chicken stock
This is a basic recipe you can add more herbs, thyme, parsley, oregano, sage, Italian seasons. You can use this recipe as a basis for many casseroles. Trade out the beef and use Italian sausage, get rid of the beef, and add more mushrooms for a vegetarian option.
- We used thinly cut beef that we cut into strips, you can use 1/2 cubes of beef or even ground beef for this. On med-high heat brown the beef in oil, fat, or butter, whatever fat you will make a roux from. Get it nice and brown
- Slice the mushrooms into thin strips, mince garlic, and dice onion.
- Deglaze the pan with Worcestershire sauce
- Add onions garlic and mushrooms and a pinch of salt.
- Cook it down to remove moisture from the mushrooms and onions. You want the sweat the onions and even get a bit of caramelization but be sure not to burn the garlic.
- When you see less steam and the onions start to caramelize, add 3 and 1/2 tablespoons of flour and cook until the flour releases a nutty smell, approx 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of milk. Bring the milk up to simmer until roux is just starting to stick to the spoon. Stir constantly.
- Add 1 cup stock, Johnny's Seasoning salt, pepper to taste, and 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard.
- Turn off heat stir in dry egg noodles and cover and let sit. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Once the oven has preheated, pour into a casserole, cover with parchment and then tin foil and cook for 20 minutes at 350F.
Note: Be sure to stir with a wooden spoon so the color doesn't get affected. Metal on metal can make the sauce have a grey color.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.