Bleach Has Made My Clothing Pink

Category Repairing
Bleach can have unexpected results when used on colored clothing. This is a guide about bleach has made my clothing pink.

I bought an off-white (sort of really light beige) colored shirt recently. The first time I washed it, it came out with a couple of purple splashes on it from another t-shirt in the wash I suppose. I bleached it lightly to try and get rid of the stain. Immediately after I submerged it in the water and bleach solution, it seemed to turn a really light pink color. The stain came out but now it's this different color. Is there anything I can do to get the pink out? I'm sure that the pink is not from the stain, but a reaction to the bleaching process.

Thanks!
Matt B from San Francisco, CA

Answers

Best Answer

The best way that I have found for this kind of problem is to get a dye remover like Rit. If it is an allwhite shirt it should come right out. Another thing I use is Shout Color Catchers. I use one in each load of laundry. I spend about $3.50 every other month on a box and get it from the Dollar General Store.

Teacups95

I used Rin Ala, a fabric whitener, by mistake. It made my blue colored T-shirt pink. Please help me to recover it's blue colour, it is brand new.

Answers

Best Answer

I am not familiar with this product. It sounds like you have bleached the colour out of the shirt, and there will be no way to recover it. I think you should contact the manufacturer and see what they say. Alternately you could try dying the shirt a dark navy blue. If you go for a light blue, it may just turn purple, unless the shirt is very, very pale.

I have 6 poly/cotton white shirts that turned pink after applying bleach to yellow staining from sunscreen. What can I do to rescue the situation? I can't believe I've ruined 6 shirts.

Answers

Try soaking the shirts overnight in a 5-gallon pail filled with the hottest tap water you have. Add 2T each hydrogen peroxide and powdered dishwashing detergent. Wash as usual the next morning.

There is a chemical reaction between the chlorine and sunscreen. Per thread you are not alone - http://www.styl … pink-suggestions

On recommend there said, try soaking your shirts in bleach for longer.

You could also wear the pink shirts for around the house or as pajamas too if it does not work out.

Anonymous

After internet search I tried 3 different cures, lemon juice, vinegar and washing soda I soaked 3 pink shirts overnight and then washed again none of the treatments made any difference oops. I will try the dish washer powder and keep you posted

I have always put my whites in a solution of bleach & warm water but today my top has gone pink I do know that it also happens with flash spray with bleach but it's all recently been happening?

i am so grateful for your help

I used bleach to brighten up my white Bras low and behold they came out bright pink and white I googled [Mr Google I love what you can find on it ] and your site appealed to me. I have done what you said to to with the bleach WOW i now have my beautiful white Bra's again
Thank you so very much am so grateful kindest regards Jeanette