Fabric Whitener Turned Blue T-shirt Pink

I used Rin Ala, a fabric whitener, by mistake. It made my blue colored T-shirt pink. Please help me to recover it's blue colour, it is brand new.

Best Answer

I am not familiar with this product. It sounds like you have bleached the colour out of the shirt, and there will be no way to recover it. I think you should contact the manufacturer and see what they say. Alternately you could try dying the shirt a dark navy blue. If you go for a light blue, it may just turn purple, unless the shirt is very, very pale.

It is the sunscreen cream you used while wearing it. The sunscreens use some sort of chemical that turns red or bright pink when soaked in bleach. The only chemical I found that turns red in bleach is manganese. The metal itself is not pink, its product after reacting with bleach is either sodium permanganate or worse: "magnese heptoxide (a volatile substance according to wikipedia)".

I can not check that, not a chemist, but I still can not find a definitive answer, but so far the only info I have is that.

Just back from hot holiday in Europe! Getting sunblock yellow stains out of cotton, use bleach which will turn it pink, then more bleach for three days, eventually the pink and the yellow disappear. Dont give up...pour bleach directly onto the remainder of stains on the collars. Amazing. 2018