Blessings Jar for the New Year

Category Inspirational
Using a blessing jar can be a great way to keep track of the great things that happen to you during the year. This is a guide about blessings jar for the new year.

Most people make resolutions for the New Year. Even if we don't always follow through, it still feels good to make these goals. We have a sense of purpose and a chance at a fresh start. Another way to keep up the New Year's momentum and stay positive is to create a Blessings Jar.

You simply find any clear jar with a lid to collect your blessings. Anytime something good happens to you or around you during the year, write it down on a small piece of paper, along with the date. Fold the paper and place it in the jar. Write down anything that moves you, from quotes, celebrations, compliments, promotions, family, church, etc. If you witness a random act of kindness, put it in the jar. If you have a wonderful dream, put it in the jar. Basically, anything that makes you happy can go in the jar.

A year later, on New Year's Eve, open up your Blessings Jar and read what gave you joy during that year. My mom and I both did this last year and we really enjoyed the process. The pictures show a few examples of what I wrote during the year. I didn't write something every day, or even every week. I still managed to accumulate a jar full of memories, including diet triumphs and job changes. I even had a helper during the year who added into my pile. A student that I tutored wanted to be a part of filling my jar and she wrote the sweetest things. Of course, she managed to become several of my own blessings too!

Top Comment

I like this idea too! I implemented something similar in my Pre-K classroom. When I caught a student helping others, following directions, being a friend, etc, I wrote it down on a post-it with the date.

Each student then placed their post-it on a large board for all to see. They would take the notes home each week, after reading them during snack time. I had forgotten all about that. Thanks for the reminder and your idea!

Once a week all year long, write something good that happened. Put the slips of paper in a jar and read them on the next New Year. Then you can reflect on all the good things that happened that year.