Boil Weeping Willow Branches for Rooting Hormone

I read somewhere that Weeping Willow branches don't need rooting hormone. In fact, if you take a branch and boil it in some water, that will itself make rooting hormone for other plants to grow roots.

I don't plan on planting one in the yard but I think it is nifty that a branch from this tree will cause other plants to root out. I am taking a gardening course too. Of course not having that, I use honey as a rooting hormone when I need one.

Where do I get willow branches if there are no willow trees anywhere around here?

I'll try and let you know what happens thank you

Right, again, Robyn

But you really don't need to boil the branches. It's good to just peel the tender bark from the branches, cover with water and let set for a couple days.

This works Great. I use a large pot and boil the branches to make a tea, let it sit for a day or two then pour into recycled jugs to use for my up coming transplants. I put a pear tree branch in this "tea" a few years back & I now have a beautiful rapidly growing tree.

If you look around your neighborhood you may find someone with a tree. Most people ok with you taking a few branches one you explain what you need them for. Just remember to ask permission first...

Sounds dodgy. Hormones are almost surely destroyed by the heat of a boiling solution

did u try that