Bonnet Patterns

Category Patterns
Bonnets have a long and varied history. There are many styles to choose from when making a costume or a practical garden hat. This is a guide about bonnet patterns.

This is a guide about a bandana bonnets craft. Make an old style bonnet using a bandana in your favorite color.

Read More... Was this helpful? 4

School skits, harvest festivals, and Halloween are times when you might want to make a pioneer style bonnet for yourself or your child. They are also very good sun bonnets. This is a guide about finding a pioneer bonnet pattern.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Can anyone please send me a pattern of the old Sunbonnets they wore long ago. Like the ones on Little House on The Prairie? The cost to buy one is unreal. Could someone with the pattern please kindly send me the directions. Thanks!

Kay from Clyde, TX

Answers

I did a search and found this site:
http://sewing.a … ss/rufflehat.htm
I also found a place where you can purchase one for 17.00.
http://whiteelegance.com

Hope this helps.

http://www.butt … h=hat&page=4

One of the vintage pattern sites might have one. During the Hollie Hobbie craze (c 1970s) there was a pattern for little girls which you could enlarge on a copier. Try sewfunpatterns.com. The person who runs it is Allison Ray. She will respond to emails and might be able to help you find one if she doesn't have it on hand.

If you enter bandana bonnets (was on the site earlier this year) on thrifty's website it brings up lots of options for pioneer bonnets. Hope this helps.

I found this pattern and it is an easy one. Sounds just like what you want. Go to
http://www.moth … -Two-Hours.aspx.

Nancy

I'm looking for a pattern old fashioned slat sun bonnet. Does anyone have a pattern they can share or give instructions? Thank you.

By Connie

Answers

Here's one I found:http://www.bonnets.com/bonnet.html
Also try:ehow.com

HI - this site has a good one with pattern too. She even has a suggestion for different material for slats!

http://www.moth … maz78jazbur.aspx

I am looking for a prairie bonnet pattern. Does anyone know of a free pattern?

By Kansas Girl

Answers

You can find the pattern on
www.motherearthnews.com search: How to make a sunbonnet is less than 2 hours.
Hope this helps.

I need a pattern for an old bonnet. I am looking for something similar to a civil war, pioneer, colonial, or prairie fair bonnet.

By Gloria from Defuniak Springs, FL

Answers

If you are talking about a poke bonnet, perhaps I can help as I remember my grandmother making one, I am 70 now. The brim is a rectangle of folded material with ends stitched; then turned. Next stitch from fold to open side, about 1 inches or so apart. These will have strips of cardboard slipped into them. This produces the sun shade part. The part that covers the head is also a rectangle the same length as the brim and is wide enough to cover the back of the neck and is stitched to the brim. I don't remember how, but it was done in such a way that the cardboard could be removed for washing. This piece was gathered about an inch from bottom, and the edges were folded over and stitched. Ties were added. I hope this helps. If you sew much, I think you can figure out the details which are lost to me. Good luck.

Our church is having a Heritage Day Celebration and I need to make cheap, fast bonnets. I have the one from Ginger but was hoping there would be an easier one which uses less material. I know, I live in a dream world.

Thanks.
Cindy

Answers

I REMEMBER MY MOTHER MAKING BONNETS FOR THE BICENTENNIAL YEARS AGO. I CANT GIVE YOU A PATTERN BUT I'LL TRY TO EXPLAIN IT ..
THE BACK WAS LIKE A HOOD AND IT HAD A RIM AROUND THE FRONT , SHE HAD THIN CARDBOARD IN-SIDE THE FRONT. SHE SEWED A TYE ON THE BOTTOM OF EACH FRONT SIDE AND IT TIED AROUND YOUR NECK. SHE MADE ABOUT 25 OF THEM IN NO TIME...
I HOPE YOU GET THE JEST OF IT.. THEY WERE VERY PRETTY. YOU CAN ALSO ADD LACE TO THE FRONT...
GOOD LUCK.. DESTINY

I am looking for a bonnet pattern that has 2 buttonholes on top for the tie to go through to hold the bonnet on. It is tied under the neck and has a button closure in back near the base of neck. This pattern when opened will lay flat for ironing.

By Cecilia from Pasadena, TX

I need a knitting pattern for a bandana bonnet.

By Linda from Newport Beach, CA