Making a Borax and Honey Ant Trap

Category Ants
Ants feeding from an ant trap/bait.
Sugar ants find their way to where sweet stuff can be found. A homemade trap can be an effective way to get rid of them. This is a guide about making a borax and honey ant trap.

Sugar ants come around the kitchen and other places looking for sweet stuff to eat. Other kinds of ants follow too but I generally call them sugar ants. Here is how to make a trap to put on the counter.

• 1 tsp 20 Mule Team borax*
  • 2 cups hot water
  • 5 Tbsp honey
  • folded paper towel
  • empty plastic container

*Borax is an natural laundry boosting powder available in the laundry section of the store, normally on the top shelf.

1. Dissolve the borax in hot water. Stir in the honey. Dip the folded paper towel in the solution until it is soaked completely.
  2. Press the wet paper towel in the empty plastic applesauce container.
  3. Place in a location where you have seen the ants. This bait will be eaten by the ants and taken back to the nest and will then kill the entire nest. Keep away from children by placing on a countertop where they can't reach it.

Cinnamon works. I just sprinkle in on the counter top behind appliances, canisters, etc.

This worked for me. I bought the ant traps at a hardware store and they had little effect. We sprinkled cinnamon and sprayed vinegar all over the counter tops and nothing worked. We had ants in our house for around a month before I stumbled onto this remedy. We set the borax and honey out for a few days and the ants started disappearing. They started popping up in our bathroom a couple of weeks later. This time I didn't hesitate. We set the honey out one night and left for vacation. The ants were gone before we got back! This is a wonderful bait!

Anonymous

I just mix 25% borax with 75% icing sugar and sprinkle this powder on the paths of the ants--it works like a dam---Paul

Anonymous

Terro ant bait traps are the only thing that works! Six bait traps for $10 No more ants finally