Calorie Free Crochet Cake Decoration

I finally had some time to make this smaller version of some I have seen. I kept it simple and yet I love the way it turned out.

Total Time: 2.5 hours

Yield: 1

Source: Saw on Pinterest but made my own pattern.

1. To make the top of the cake, you will need to follow the "circle" pattern to match the size of the box you choose.
  2. Start with a chain 2, make 12 half doubles in the first chain, "skip' the first chain 2 and join in the next stitch for 12. Chain 1 and turn.
  3. Ad

4. The next row is the same, but with 2 half doubles in each around for 24. Do this, increasing by 12 for each row till the size you wish is reached.
  5. Join your white yarn for the scallops. Your end row on the top of the cake will always be a multiple of 2 and 3. You can make your scallops and skip 2 and put it in the 3rd stitch, or skip 1 and make it in the 2nd stitch. For the scallop, chain 4 and make a half double in the first chain, then a double.
  6. Ad

7. When your scallop row is done, join with your brown between any scallop, and chain 2. Then make a half double in the next stitch and when you are between the scallops again, make a half double between them. You may have to lay the white scallops down some, as this isn't the easiest stitch to achieve. But it's worth it.
  8. Once that row is done, the rest is easier. Just join, continue the pattern till the length down is reached. I put a brown row of scallops on the bottom, so they flared out. This gave me the opportunity to glue the last row of half doubles to the box.
  9. Ad

10. For the strawberries, I chained 2 and joined. I then made a single in each stitch. I increased by 1 for 4 rows, then left a tail for a drawstring in each. I then stuffed them with a bit of plastic bag and closed them up.
  11. For the stems I just chained 3 and make a slip stitch and made 4 more, joining them with their tails. I hot glued them to the berries and hot glued them to the cake. N-JOY!!
  12. Ad

Sandi, this is cute and you are super talented!

Well you are so sweet to say so!

Silly me. I thought it was a real cake. I was going to compliment you on the icing. After reading the instructions, I must compliment you on your artistry with a crochet hook and yarn. Beautiful!

Then my work here is done! You aren't the only one who thought it was real. I have made crocheted candy and cookies and people asked if they can have one. Then they look closer. Super fun!!