AdviceCrafts

Carved Rock Identification

A friend of mine found this carved rock in Shannon County, Missouri and would like to know if it is an artifact or ? I am including a few images photographed from different angles - front, side and back.

Thank you.

I would contact someone in the nearest museum. They would be able to tell, or refer you to someone who can.

I would email the pictures to Jeffrey Ferguson, assistant professor of archeology at University of Missouri with the information you provided here. Good luck! fergusonje@missouri.edu

9/30/19 Thank you for your suggestion to contact the Archeology Dept. at University of Missouri. I will do that and report back here.

There are several tribes of Indians that roamed the lands before they were ever developed. This could be from one of them.

The only real way to find out is to contact a museum in the area and show the piece there. They can tell you where it came and have more knowledge of the rocks in this area.

Looks like you have a museum in your town. Here is the contact number for The Shannon County Museum 573-247-8706.

I hope it is something neat! It reminds me of something a late family member used to do to rocks when bored, carving neat patterns into them. At one point the intent was to make jewelry out of them, but that never happened, sadly.

Post back what you learn!

A neat find no matter the outcome.
Since you have a museum and a university link you should be able to find out all about this rock.
I would be interested to know what kind of rock even if the carving is not 'old'.

Crafts AdviceSeptember 28, 2019
🌻
🎂
🎃