Cleaning Car Mats or Carpet

Category Auto
The mats and carpet in your car can take a beating, collecting stains from spills and materials tracked in on your shoes. This page offers some helpful advice for cleaning the mats and carpet in your vehicle.

We have a new car and the carpets are tan, we want to keep them up so we can sell the car in a couple of years. Any tips for getting out stains? I think its oil stains from workers boots and some general dirt.

Robin from Marietta,GA

Answers

Best Answer

Hi Robin! On the 6th of November, Kay from Toronto posted a tip to use Spray and Wash on carpet stains ( www.thriftyfun.com/tf38473506.tip.html ). I tried it on some old very dark stains on my carpet and Bingo! No more stains. Great tip from Kay!

Best Answer

My husband uses brake clean on any grease or oil spots on the carpets of the truck. I have even used it on a grease spot in the house on the carpet and it worked great.

Best Answer

I realize this is an older post, but I swear by this method:

Clean out as much as you can out of the car...the carpet protectors, removeable storage between the seats etc.

Then, get the hose (yes, the garden hose) and turn on to a slow to medium stream. Soak the carpets and liberally pour liquid dish soap all over. Use a scrub brush (like the kind you use on tubs or tires) and scrub the carpet, lightly on less soiled spot, heavier on more soiled. Borrow, use your own, or buy a wet/dry vacuum and remember to take the paper filter out. Vacuum out as much water as possible (you'll get more than you think out) and resoak the carpets. Repeat vacuuming. Remember to dump the vac occasionally (great for flowerbed water). Usually after a couple passes, you'll get the carpet almost bone dry. I usually leave the windows partly down to let it finish air drying.

The price, I think, for a wet/dry vac doesnt outweight the benefits of owning one...I bought my 50 gal for about $40US at a garage sale. Cleaning my auto carpets instead of replacing them saved me a twenty bucks first time i used it.

What I've managed to get out by this method:
soda stains, burnt engine oil, ice cream, kool-aid, chocolate, tea, coffee, brake fluid, trasmission fluid, various other unidentifiable auto part fluids, dirt, restaurant hood exhaust grease, lipstick, crayon and various candy leftovers.

The previous owner of our last truck used it to transport auto parts, both in the bed and cab. It took three applications to finally get all of the stains out. Several months after we bought it, the owner asked us if he could take a look at it and make us an offer. He swore we had replaced the carpet and offered us $500 over what he originally sold it to us for.

An air freshener melted (leaked oil smell) in the center console between my car seats and the rubber matting at the bottom absorbed the smell. I wouldn't mind if the smell was a nice one, but this just makes me sick to my stomach. Any ideas beside replacing the matting would be greatly appreciated.

By Carol B

Answers

Best Answer

Sprinkle liberally with bicarb soda. Leave overnight, then vacuum.

This is a page about removing salt stains from your car's carpet. Winter, in many areas, means salt on the roads and unfortunately also on the carpet inside your car.

Car's Carpet

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning AutoDecember 19, 2019
🎉

Generated 2019-12-28 18:25:44 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️