Cleaning Granite Countertops

Category Kitchen
You need to avoid some cleaners to keep your granite clean and beautiful. This page is about cleaning granite countertops.

I bought a squeegee at the dollar store. It has been the best way to clean my granite countertops. I spray glass cleaner on my countertop and go over with a sponge. I then squeegee all the liquid into the sink. This works so well and my countertops shine.

Do not use citrus based cleaners, you can damage granite counter tops. Do not use Windex it will strip the seal off the stone. Mix 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol, or cheap vodka, and 3 drops of dish soap, into a 16 oz. spray bottle then fill the rest with water, and shake. It will give counter tops a nice shine. This cleaner also works on appliances.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Are black granite countertops hard to keep clean?

By yola from Leonia, NJ

Answers

Best Answer

They have to be sealed at least twice a year to keep from staining. Many food products will put a permant stain on the granite. A granite installer or a big box store could explain what the sealer is and how to apply.

I just discovered that a cake mix box must have gotten wet and then dried and stuck to my granite countertop. It must have been stuck there for a while.

I tried wetting it and then poured Goo Gone onto it. So far it is not coming off, any hints?

Answers

Get it very wet. Then use the end of an old credit card to scrape off. Repeat as necessary.

How to best clean a black granite countertop?

By Daphne Greif from Madison, WI

Answers

I have a fireplace hearth made of the same thing. They do make products to clean and polish granite now a days, but I have never tried them. They weren't around forty years ago when we moved into this house. I have always used warm water and a mild dish soap then, went back over it using a clean cloth and Lemon Oil.

I let the Lemon Oil penitrate the surface for about 20 mins or so, then re-wipe with another clean soft cloth. That really does the trick to make the hearth look spanking new. I also use Lemon Oil on my kitchen formica counters, and Mom's fifty year old black stove. I do the stove every single day and it also looks spanking new.

ThriftyFun.com Staff

How do I clean my granite kitchen countertop?

Aimee

Answers

Hi Aimee,
I got the following from a granite countertop site.

For daily maintenance use a solution of clear non-sudsing ammonia. Another method is cleaning the surface with Grani-Clean. Gently remove any loose debris from the surface. Simply spray the Grani-Clean on to the surface and wipe clean.

The porosity of granite is very low, averaging 1/5 of 1 percent. As with any material, however, if a spill is left on the surface for a long period of time some residual staining may occur. The stain usually dissipates over time or can be removed with a Stainout Poultice Powder. To prevent the potential settling of a stain, we recommend sealing the surface with an Impregnator.

Granite is not like woods or metals it needs to breathe. Sealing the surface with a urethane or wax would prevent the stone from breathing, causing potential deterioration of the stone. An Impregnator penetrates the surface and provides for an easy cleanup on future spills.

Consult your local fabricator for information on which Impregnator they have found to be most effective.

Susan, The Editor

I had some sterling silver jewelry clearer spilled on my tan granite counter and it left round white spots. Any idea as to what would take the white spots off my granite counter? It feels like it is something that is raised. I haven't tried anything yet for fear of hurting the counter top or making it worse.

By Traci R

How do I clean granite counter tops and granite tile?

By sonny from NY

My girlfriend spilled perfume on our granite top. A candle holder with a flat base has stuck to the counter top, it's approximately 250mm in diameter. It can't be removed. Please help.

By nailer from Cape Town

How do you disinfect granite countertops?

By Nancy from AR

Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenDecember 26, 2012
😷
😎
🌻
🐛
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-Granite-Countertops-2.html