Cleaning Hard Water Stains on Porcelain

Category Tips
When there is lots of calcium or lime in your water, it can leave deposits. Effective cleaners can be Lime Away or Zud. This is a guide about hard water stains on porcelain.

How do you remove accumulated calcium stains or lime stains from a porcelain tub?

By Nora Gimm from Lake Ozark, MO

Answers

Best Answer

My bathroom fixtures are 40-50 years old. For at least 25 years, I've been cleaning them with a powdered cleanser called Zud. If you've had your problem for a while, wet down the stains and shake the Zud on flat surfaces. If it's really bad, use wet paper towels or newspapers to cover it and keep it wet longer. For tub sides, ceramic tile, or other vertical surfaces, use a wet cloth. Sprinkle a section of the cloth with Zud, then fold it together so the Zud is wet. Reopen and wipe generously onto vertical surfaces, then go away and just leave it alone. After 15-20 minutes, go back and wash it off. If there are problem areas, do it again, leave it longer. Once the problem areas are cleared up, the job becomes much easier if done with reasonable regularity. Zud comes in a canister-type container like Comet or Ajax. Good luck! --shoe

Best Answer

A bottle of Lime Away should do it. It is sold everywhere.

How do I remove the stubborn stains caused due to hard water in the wash basin? I tried a lot, but there is no relief for me. Please help.

By jayasree

Answers:

Hard Water Stains on Porcelain

I'd try full strength white vinegar. Do this at night and let it stay overnight. Close the drain and put some paper towels or rags over the worst spots. Pour on the vinegar and check in the morning. You might have to scrub a bit with a plastic scrubbie, but the residue should come off if it's been saturated with the vinegar. (02/21/2010)

By OliveOyl

Hard Water Stains on Porcelain

The only thing that has removed hard water stains from my bathroom tile is The Works toilet bowl cleaner. I put on rubber gloves and use a Magic Eraser and the cleaner. (02/21/2010)

By SusannL

Hard Water Stains on Porcelain

You can fill the sink with hot water and dissolve a couple of denture cleaning tablets in the water. Let it soak overnight and the stains should scrub off easily. (02/25/2010)

By Dena Roberts

Hard Water Stains on Porcelain

Try CLR, a stronger acid, if the vinegar treatment doesn't work. (02/25/2010)

By Louise B.

I have a new black porcelain cast iron double sink. Does anyone know of a product to remove the hard water stains without scratching the surface? I know there is a product out there, but it has not surfaced yet. Help.

Nana from Albuquerque, NM

Answers:

Hard Water Stains on Porcelain

I think the absolute best product for removal of hard water stains is plain old vinegar. (02/20/2006)

By Connie from MD

Hard Water Stains on Porcelain

When I rented from a very picky woman, the apartment had the same kind of sink and she suggested using Barkeepers Friend, it worked great. You may also try Comet, the new formula does not scratch. I use it on my stainless steel sink. (02/21/2006)

By jmz2005

Hard Water Stains on Porcelain

Rubbing alcohol may work.

(02/22/2006)

By FFL

Hard Water Stains on Porcelain

I live in TX and I have never had any luck with vinegar, room temperature or heated. Holloway House Orange oil works like a charm and another reader said De-Solv-It worked for her. Good luck. (02/23/2006)

By suzi_homemaker01

Hard Water Stains on Porcelain

Try Bring-It-ON water spot remover. It's a paste that you wipe on, leave on for a few minutes to dissolve the minerals, and wipe off. Invented by a gal that got tired of trying things that didn't work.
(09/04/2007)

By Don

Hard Water Stains on Porcelain

As porcelain enamel is a glass surface fused to a metal base it is advisable not to use acid cleaners on porcelain enamel. Porcelain enamel is acid resistant, but not acid proof. The glass coating can be gradually dissolved by acids and expose the metal underneath and cause a lot of damage.

Natural Formula to Use:
A mixture of baking soda and warm water

Method to Use:

1. Make up the mixture of water and baking soda
  2. Scrub stains with a soft brush or sponge
  3. Rinse thoroughly with water to remove all residue

Tip:
When scrubbing the stains be careful to rub gently as once the porcelain surface has been scratched it easily picks up any grease, dirt, or soap residue. Then harsh abrasives really are necessary to remove debris that has become ingrained within the surface.
(09/28/2008)

By Patrick Henry