We have one of those showers that are separate from the tub. There is a gummy glue (Caulking) used to anchor the door to the stall. The glue was clear now it is dark with mildew or mold. Can someone give me some ideas on how to clean it without removing the glue?
Thanks in advance.
Nette from Georgia
Bleach kills mold. (01/27/2005)
Bar Keeper's friend. Mix as a paste. Apply with a toothbrush.
Check out their website: barkeepersfriend.com
I've found this product at Walmart, Raley's, and Rite-Aid. You can use it on glass, fiberglass, stainless steel, copper, brass (it's a polisher), plastic, and tile. It's an endless cleaner. Once you try it, you'll always have it. (01/27/2005)
I use a paste made from hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and Borax. Use a toothbrush to apply and let set. (01/27/2005)
We had the same problem in our shower and my sister suggested using a Clorox Bleach Stick. This has really worked for us, and I like it because it comes out creamy (thicker) than pouring bleach, and you can apply it exactly where you want it without getting bleach all over yourself (kind of like using white-out in one of those correction pens). We just keep it in the shower and periodically use it if we notice any mold forming. It has worked wonders for us.
By Trudy P.
Bleach does not clean mold. You only think that it cleans mold, because you can't see the mold anymore. Bleach only changes the color of mold, making it invisible to the eye and that's why people think it works. It doesn't. You have to thoroughly wet the mold first. You wet the mold so you won't spread mold spores, then use a mix of water and non-ammonia cleaner and a brush to clean off the dirt and grime which is what mold grows on. Once you do this, you must let this dry completely, 24 to 48 hours.
Only then should you use bleach to disinfect, but you should only use a bleach and water mix. Using straight bleach doesn't clean any better, but does give out a toxic fume that should not be inhaled. The most important thing is to make sure you wear gloves, protective eyewear and a N95 mask. You can get the proper mask at your local home improvement stores. I hope this helps you and others. If you have mold that keeps coming back, this technique should help. Also, if your not sure if what you have is mold. Put a drop of bleach on it and if it changes colors then it's mold. If it doesn't change colors, then it's not mold.
Try Scrub-Free Mildew remover with bleach. You can get it at Walmart. Spray it on, let it sit for about 20 minutes, then rinse with a non-abrasive sponge and water (you should be able to just rinse it, but I find it works better if you wipe it with a wet sponge or cloth). I have been using this stuff for a few years and I love it. I use it every time I clean my tub and shower. I have even been able to get rid of old mold and mildew stains with it. (07/30/2005)
I use a non-toxic product called MoldZyme to remove mold and mildew spots in my shower. It has worked wonders for me without having to worry about the smell coming from bleach (it is irritating for me) and other cleaning agents that have an unpleasant smell to it.
You might want to check out MoldZyme on their website. I've ordered from them and they seem to have their products carried at retail stores around the country. You can check out their site, ecodiscoveries.com for more information on the capabilities of the product. (08/18/2006)
I saw responses here recommending bleach and several responses recommending against it. I had a mold specialist in my house a few months ago after a flood to help me dry everything out to prevent mold. I had some mold in my garage and asked how to kill it. He told me "do not use bleach" for the same reasons people have said here not to use bleach.
He recommended this solution:
Boil 1 gallon of water. Mix in copper powder (the stuff you use on your roses, it comes in a cylindrical container). Stir it. There will still be some solid pieces. Put it through a strainer (a home made strainer, like a coffee filter or paper towel should be just fine) so all of the pieces are gone. Pour in one gallon of Zep floor sealer and mix. Put this into a trigger spray bottle and spray it generously on the moldy areas.
I have not yet had a chance to try this, but he swears by it. (10/14/2007)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!